The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

57, too polite for my taste

only refurbished/158% functional ones worthy of listening test ; those which "needs some TLC" good for full avoidance

except if you get them for peanuts and know personally local ESL repair Guru
I helped a friend to refurbish a set of ELS57 in the late 80s and once new trebel panels where in place, they where wery good. We did not find them polite (maybe we had bad amps at the time :) ). But found them limited in loudness, we could not play loud enough for our young ears ;)
One of the few things I regret not buying over the years was a complete set of mint quad els57 with tube amps and radio, that could be had for the same price as a NAD3020. And the 3020 was quite inexpensive at the time ;) .

@Cal Weldon, I make my own beer, but see Im hopelessly primitive using bottles in stead of refrigerated kegs :).

Last edited:
pair of 15" Tannoys are more for my liking :)
Understand that. Tannoys where on my radar but where a rarity and expensive when I moved from IS to NO where I got my Altecs.
There where many golds for sale in Hong Kong when I was working there in the late 90s, together with a lot of nice vintage stuff. Everything already at a steep price for the large japanese customer base.

I noticed recently a large number of resistors in my Aleph 2 clone are discolored.

The amp is 15+ years old but has been in storage for 10+ years. I recently added them
into my main system once again - they've run with no problems for the last 6 months.
Is this just a cosmetic problem, or should the effected resistors be replaced? See attached
picture - thanks for looking.

Attachments

• discolored resistor.jpg
    discolored resistor.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 135
The PCB used does not match the Aleph 2 schematic...

I did notice all the 221ohm series resistors for the Gate pins on the MOSFETS
are discolored...

i realized realistically, i'm not going to take the amps apart and replace all the
resistors, so i'm just going enjoy the sweet music (they still sound wonderful)
and run them until they fail! :devilr: --- thanks ZM