The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Hope that you are in good health Gyuri...good to see you again despite the dreadful news you bring.

It is a tragedy of unknown proportions. My heart goes out to all involved and to the French people in general.

I had been feeling upbeat - 77th birthday on last thursday, 1st anniversary of my heart surgery was on last Monday! But an incidence of this scale and proportion puts such things to the back of my mind as I listen to Glenn Gould's (slow) interpretation of Bach's Goldberg Variations.

The two main towers have been saved, a relief.

I recall attending the 650 year celebration of the Notre Dame with my g/f, December '85, a minor renovation had just been completed.
Amazing light show all around the Notre Dame, with the voice of a woman telling the story of the cathedrale and how much it is part of Paris.
Most impressive Xmas I've spent at home or abroad

Watching the Notre Dame burn sort a feels as a cherished memory going up in flames

Joined 2006
Paid Member
c2c's Family Reunion in Nashville Tennessee

Hi Dodo's!!

One of the results of swinging from branch to branch of my family tree is that over the years I have found five sisters to me that were all born by different mothers. The discovery of each new sister was accompanied by various stages of acceptance, usually starting out with a remark that went something like "are you shitting me?".

It took a year of planning but this past weekend I was able to be with all five of my sisters for the 1st time ever in our lives!!!

Ohhhhh my.... What have I created??

We had a wonderful time and there are a hundred stories to tell.

As you can see - I have my hands full.....

Attachments

• Five sisters 2019 April 13.jpg
    Five sisters 2019 April 13.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 101
maybe i'm exagerating a bit: i'm not in the process of learning finnish, but i like to hear it spoken: it sounds «foreign» and fun, a bit like dutch (fun in a good way). Also, i am a hockey fan and i like finnish players in general (jesperi Kotkaniemi is a favorite in the town :) ). Also i like snow and i would say the culture seem close with our in Quebec: we are sharing land with indigenous also and the demographic is similar.

I wanted to learn german german first, but i thought after practicing a bit that it was not for me...not sure why.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I want some of whatever your father drank!

SERIOUSLY: Well done...the meeting with you must have been some shock!

Yes indeed - there was always some degree of shock and awe involved - and that was even before they found out that they have an audio nut for a brother:eek:

It was a wonderful reunion and I got to do a presentation about the family tree and let everyone know how we are connected. Photo of the victims....

Attachments

• Family Reunion group 1.jpg
    Family Reunion group 1.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 137
'''''''''''''the culture seem close with our in Quebec: we are sharing land with indigenous also and the demographic is similar..........

....you once had some of the best salmon fly-fishing in the world ...Grand Cascapedia and many other Laurentian rivers - now all gone thanks to man interfering with nature. Finland has the Tana - which is possibly still the best river for the chance of a world class Atlantic Salmon - and a good few other rivers, but I expect that the runs have also decreased quite drastically....they certainly have here in Scotland!:mad: