The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
you'll maybe miss some midrange sweetness , but worth a try

I'm more thinking about some nasty old-school 12" or something like that , counting on fact that TAD is sorta slow up

on the other hand ...... if Tannoy 15" cone can reach 1K , still sounding as it sounds ...... everything is possible

did you ever tried it in VoT arrangement?

The TADs will cross-over up to 1200 Hz, so I figure 1100-1150 would be worth a try.

I think the guy at BAF was using a 12" something or another, sealed, with his ESS sitting on top. It sounded great!

Haven't tried VoT. TADs are in a sealed box. The room is fairly small with no room for horns.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
did I said lately how much I like wit in this construction ?

:)

Attachments

• urutu9u2.jpg
    urutu9u2.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 128
  • EAR-859-with-EL519.jpg
    EAR-859-with-EL519.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 124
Heard them on Pro-Ac and on Maggi "office divider screens". There was something nice but it was strangled and recessed with no airiness: rather like looking through the wrong end of a telescope in an audio sense! :)

Now that I remember them I would like to hear them with good OB speakers or trad big things like yours! :) [ :rolleyes: ]

EDIT:

'Constricted' is the word ... only strongly so!!;)

Last edited:
I'm sucker for speakers ......... any type , any shape , only condition is that they must be gooood

now I;m contemplating do I need Mighty Original Great ESS Heil Air Motion Transformer™ I - LARGE , at least when they are by present prices ......

I don't need them , but that Devil inside me .......

:bawling:

Life is Good!

I have owned the large, heavy Heil AMT mid/tweets. To me, they have the unpleasant signature of horns. It is the same sound that a cheerleader makes when yelling into a hand held plastic horn. I have heard it explained as "awk-isk".

I have also owned the Voice of the Theater horn drivers with associated compression drivers. They also sound awk-ish to me. I have measured them and the resonances in the passband are quite visible.

Every compression mid and/or tweet I have measured (quite a few) has the same behavior of resonances from the horn and also from the driver. You can see the anomalies in the impedance plot and in the freq response plot.

I built a pair of Edgar Tractrix mid horns in the 80s. I liked the tractrix taper better than exponential. It was driven by an Audax bextrene driver which had none of the compression driver problems.

My preferred poison are electrostats. They are picky about room placement and picky about listening position. When set up well, they sound like headphones and they sound awesome loud.

I also like ribbon tweeters paired with the Audax bextrene mid-woofs.

To each their own poison.

I would be interested to know what amplification you were using with the Heils.

At the time, I was using Perreaux vintage 1980s MOSFET amplifiers.

Main speakers were in my system over time were

Martin Logan CLS
Acoustat 2+2
Magnepan IIIC with true ribbon tweeters

Of these, the Martin Logan CLS were my favorite. Acoustat 2+2 were my least favorite. The Acoustat panels had a huge shelf around 10kHz. My suspicion is that the painted-on graphite was very heavy and killed the upper octave. The 2+2s needed a ribbon tweeter. They did not last long in my listening room. I sold them to a co-worker who loved them.

So, my ears+brain are tuned to planars/electrostats and anything that has a large peak in the freq response causes displeasure.

The SEAS magnesium cone mid-woofs of the 1990s had a huge mechanical resonance peak in the treble and they always sounded harsh and bright to me no matter how much of a notch filter was applied.

I have owned and measured many types of drivers out of curiosity and desire to exercise the Woofer Tester as it was evolving.

I built a double stacked pair of Roger Sanders ESL speakers in the early 1980s. Built a pair of 4 foot tall ribbon tweeters in the late 1980s paired with 4 Audax mid woofs per side. Both systems were phenomenal for a DIY effort. I could not afford anything commercial of that caliber at the time. The ML CLS were the first good speakers that I bought and they were second hand to me around 1990.

The associated subwoofers were always DIY using the Woofer Tester and BassBox for design and implementation. The systems were either biamped or triamped using an electronic crossover. A version of the DIY ribbon tweeter system made its way into two different church sanctuaries. They sounded good compared to what is usually installed in churches.