The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Made me chuckle

Attachments

• MASTERS_SIGN_1.JPG
    MASTERS_SIGN_1.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 378
Idiots Ideas Corner

Pubs been dead for a while.
Been looking around the site, there doesn't seem to be a place to post half baked ideas (most of us know too little, dangerous), and most people won't post because they don't want to make an idiot of themselves, looks like we need an idiots corner where no idea is too stupid, and I'm the biggest idiot I know.

Hears the first contribution.

I/V for my cheap Chinese ES9038PRO dac, I'd like something better than the opamps, this probably isn't it (2 circuits per channel).

The idea is based on the Zen I/V, I haven't built it - need to learn spice simulation, it isn't optimised and I don't know if it works; this is where someone tells me how much of an idiot I am, or can prod me in the right direction, this is also the bit where my precious parts are saved from destruction by not building.

Parts choice based on what's in my draw.

I'm curious as what R5 will do :scratch2:

Attachments

• 50mA I-V.jpg
    50mA I-V.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
1. you're going to kill BC critters with 250mA .... always think of max current, voltage and dissipation of part ; also - 250mA look somewhat excessive .....
2. use higher value of emitter resistors in current mirrors , to have better current tracking
3. IRF parts are probably even better than 2SK/SJ there ....... so , leave these for something where is better having parts made for audio

Thanks for the reply ZM, just what I was looking for.
I picked 20% swing because EUVL recommended a max of 25% in the CEN-SEN article - but that was for JFETS, I'll experiment.
I forgot to calculate the PD of the little critters, thanks for the catch, Iv'e got some BD139/140, wonder if the HFE might be too low?
100R emitters and IRFP240/IRFP9240 it is, I'll have to crank up the supply a bit and add cascode for JFETS.
Time to start building.

Last edited:
European Triode Festival is a 3 days DIY hobby amateurs meeting.
Many prestigious audio designers participante from all around the world.

This 2018 edition is happen in France Normandie from 15 to 18 novembre

Travels to Europe and the Triode Festival

ETF Presentation

It's only on reservation and it's practicaly impossible to find one free place

Attachments

• C45C718F-D0D1-4856-B914-91F108DAFED7.JPG
    C45C718F-D0D1-4856-B914-91F108DAFED7.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 164
  • C8A6AB4C-76DC-487C-AC4C-4BBACE02B197.JPG
    C8A6AB4C-76DC-487C-AC4C-4BBACE02B197.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 160
Been quiet in the pub...

Hello. Back from the states working on keeping my jetlag. Wonderful trip around Lake Michigan, drove thru Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa and back to Chicago, Illinois, a bit over 2500 km. The entire east coast is marvellous, stringed with lovely places like Indiana Dunes, Sankt Joseph, Saugatuck, Holland, Frankfurt and Traverse City to name a few. We also stayed at St Ignace and went over to Mackinac Island, drove thru the great Sault Ste Marie and Hiawatha forests in the north, down south again, out Door County, very beautiful, chilled and relaxed like the east coast, vacation areas for Illinoiers and Michiganeers. Then out on the Illinois and Iowa plains, corn country with awesome roads and communities along Mississippi river, Galena to pick the cutest. Also had time to visit some places where ancestors settled one and a half century ago in Henry and Knox county and found gravestones of ancestors. In the end of 19th century (1870ish) Chicago had the second largest swedish population spot in the world only second to Stockholm. Also had time for two days in that lovely city. I like the chill there. Take care folks!

Attachments

• 2147D297-F0F1-4F7D-BF1E-517958396102.jpg
    2147D297-F0F1-4F7D-BF1E-517958396102.jpg
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 76