The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Hello, my friends.

Last night, I had the best dream ever: I was at an audio event being held in the countryside where I listened to Nelson Pass demonstrating his DIY amplifiers. We didn't talk much, he took a moment to explain his ideas on audio reproduction and the virtues of minimalistic amplifier design. The sound from his latest creation was amazing... I've never had a dream where I got to listen to music. Very special!

Hello, my friends.

Last night, I had the best dream ever: I was at an audio event being held in the countryside where I listened to Nelson Pass demonstrating his DIY amplifiers. We didn't talk much, he took a moment to explain his ideas on audio reproduction and the virtues of minimalistic amplifier design. The sound from his latest creation was amazing... I've never had a dream where I got to listen to music. Very special!

Two nights ago I had an unbelievable dream, too. I dreamt of a young woman, not a very attractive young woman but really nice and kind. We talk a while about this and that. I mean she asked me a few things and I gave her answers. She was so familiar to me and I told her that she reminds me of somebody. She smiled and asked me: "So, I remind you of somebody? Who is it?" I had no answer. Then she said: "Happy birthday, Martin!" and I woke up. It was my birthday and I've dreamt of my grandmother Else as a young woman. She died last year. A few posts back in this thread I told everyone here (who wanted to know or not ;)), that she was the one, who lit the fire of Hifi inside me. Uncanny little dream.

Just to get away from wet dreams involving people, whom are not supposed to be involved in such....

John, I think I owe you an explanation.

Remember we had a discussion some time ago, about how the square wave looked from our choke loaded amps?

Back then you were wondering why yours didn't turn out all that square after all. I claimed to not have the same issue.
I have just been running a square through a choke loaded ZV9 style amp, and mine looks just like yours did.

Magura :)

She owned an old tube-powered "Plattentruhe" (a cabinet with a receiver on the one side and a record player on the other side) by Grundig, Nordmende or so. Listening to it was part of creating a cozy atmosphere. Granny had a big talent for that: Rainy afternoons, drinking hot chocolate (or coffee) and listening to the radio or the newest records of my uncle Michael. For me it was clear as daylight, that her old-fashioned Hifi (tubes and system immanent fullrange speakers) was head and shoulders better than my father's Hifi gear (sand and multi-way speakers). I just preferred the warm and coherent sound.
I've always been hating transistor powered amps. I changed my mind in the early nineties. German Hifi journalist Joachim Pfeiffer wrote a very impressive review of Papa's Aleph 1. A few weeks later I had the opportunity to listen to these wonderful amps. A really incisive experience!
The lost and newly found love to fullrange speakers occurred later.

Naah, different amp.

But the amp in your wet dreams is to be fired up once I get the rest of the bits needed. Lykke is trying to sort me out, but the snow is making the mail almost an impossible option.

Look at the thread at the Serb forum, it's pretty much done. The rectifiers are ready and mounted, those were that last time consuming job.

Magura :)