The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

As they say back in 'oirland "Well may it wear Cal me bouy!"

My friend's 14 year old Toyota Landcruiser has just gone to heaven after a clutch burnout. (but may have a resurrection depending on cost of repairs) 270,000 UK miles, here to the China Sea, all over Russia, Turkey (this year), and countless other explorations.

I just used it as a chance for a cheap joke! [Thought I must be on this thread:)]

I made the enormous mistake of "updating" to Mac OS 10.11.1.....what an unmitigated disaster! NO-ONE other than idiots should load it.....I am putting this advice here as we are all idiots here.

Seriously though, if I were in the position of having a half dozen or more Macs in a commercial environment I would find similar firms and start a class action. Apple, with the largest cash reserve anywhere, is now getting paying customers to do their R&D. I am sour having recently bought some large amount of very expensive third party programmes which are now TOTALLY useless!

Last edited:
Hi Brian
Apple, love their products, hate their software - almost as much as Windows.
Linux has it's compromises but it's is free, so it's easier to forgive. Being an apple user, your half way there anyway.
There are lots of different flavours out there, and most things you need are built in to the software, if it isn't, you can probably find a download on the net.
Load a version onto an old PC and just keep trying them untill you find one that you can live with.

If Microsoft had any smarts and put the politics aside, they would use this platform for their next major release.

Have had Macs from the days of the IIgs! So when I say that the new OS 10.11.1 is total "s**te" please believe it. Gone are the days when you expected a new OS to have fewer problems than its predecessor......now there are more bugs, non- opening and crashing programmes [MADE by Mac], than you would believe possible. Add to that that obligatory software such as Adobe CS, Office, Capture One etc simply refuse to function; an OS that is touted as a free upgrade - ends up costing you about £1,500 to replace....that is if you can find any such packages. ALL of these problems should as a duty of care have been sorted before general release (other than for experts as beta versions). AND if you want a new computer from Mac it comes with this OS being the sole option.

AND, further, even if you want to go back to the previous OS you cannot get a reliable download; Mac no longer supply one...even if prepared to empty your HD and spend a couple of days rebuilding.

If you don't believe this, just google 'Mac OS10.11 problems' and read a few experiences of users.

As for me I have fortunately still got my old Mac Pro desktop (complete with pink screen cast) for Adobe work, whilst a new iMac 5K 27" sits there doing nothing except scribble on here and browse the IN! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Many thanks Cal. Unfortunately my 'Time Machine' did not function as intended! The main problem is getting hold of a clean trustworthy download for Yosemite which truth be told is not much more stable than El Caput. (I only have to see a few books I have with Ansel Adams name on the spines for my blood pressure to rise to dangerous levels........that Apple of all people should have this effect when linking, unintentionally, to the name of such a great photographer is appalling. Trust me that UK CEO has egg on his face in this house.

Fortunately I have manually copied all important files and programmes to a 3Tb external drive and have the originals of most on my old G5Mac Pro.

What galls me the most is that there is no warning whatsoever with these new OSs that they are useless with propriety programmes such as the Adobe CS. Had I realised I would have had my Mac Pro updated & maxed out rather than get an iMac.

Thanks again Cal.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just checking in to say hello chaps.... I have pretty much finished the heavy lifting of dead ancestors in family tree and will be getting back around to digging up old music to listen to on new head can's I've just ordered.....

Took me a couple of weeks to finally make a decision but when I saw them on sale for $130 US I decided to go for it. The earbuds sound good but are a PIA to keep in the ears and I got tired of messing with them.

ATH-M50x Professional Monitor Headphones || Audio-Technica US