The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Man, some people like to make things even more expensive...:p;)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-02 at 1.41.15 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-06-02 at 1.41.15 PM.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 561
Man, some people like to make things even more expensive...:p;)

Around here they come at 0.20$ a piece, now you wanna tell me that's expensive for a big stainless washer in small quantities ? :D

An even cheaper solution, and made of aluminum, was made by Lithuania back in 91', but those you need to drill the holes in yourself.
I bought myself a nice stock of those, as they make good quality washers in 3 different sizes (see pic).

And dear friends, do take note of the much improved quality of the photo :cool:
Magura and Magura got themselves a new camera. Bought a real cheap and simple one, which they're able to manage :D

Magura :)

Attachments

• SAM_0016.JPG
    SAM_0016.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
I'm playing with a super cheap input transformer on an differential source follower amp. I'm just stunned at the quality of sound I'm getting with such a simple input. The transformer gives the amp a gain of 4 (or so).

I've been in contact with Jensen Transformer and will be ordering a pair of their line stage 1 to 4 ratio transformers (listed as 4 to 1 but connected to my amp in reverse) for a greater attempt at audio nirvana.

This is such a simple experiment and one that paid off handsomely.

Attachments

• diff power amp with transformer input.PNG
    diff power amp with transformer input.PNG
    19.6 KB · Views: 430
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm glad that you realized distinction between balanced and symmetric , when using xformer :clown:

regarding sound ..... now you hear why I'm using xformer in stages after DAC's - great sense of continuum

( beat that explanation , if you can :rofl: )

and stunning dynamics and details , when impedances matched properly ;

regarding that - make sweep test ( varying from 20-20K ) and alter R2 and R4 to acheve flattest response

I'm glad that you realized distinction between balanced and symmetric , when using xformer :clown:

regarding sound ..... now you hear why I'm using xformer in stages after DAC's - great sense of continuum

( beat that explanation , if you can :rofl: )

and stunning dynamics and details , when impedances matched properly ;

regarding that - make sweep test ( varying from 20-20K ) and alter R2 and R4 to acheve flattest response

I've been in love with inductors ever since Nelson introduced us to ZV7-T. Of course, you know that, Choky. I've never forgotten to use the power inductor--but, using an input transformer, this is a first for me. Now, it seems like I'm going to stay here for a long while. I like the way the music sounds--quite lively. When you think of the cost to build a preamp, not to mention time, which I have less as the sands fall through life's hour-glass, it seems a logical path to journey. Good grief, this is fun.

I've been toying around with R2 and R4. The tech at Jensen Transformer suggested a load no greater than 1/10 of the transformer's output impedance. In the case of the little Xicon, the output impedance is 50,000 ohms, so 10 x 50,000 is 1/2 meg. I had 1 meg resistors on hand, so that's the route I went. I'll try to get a little closer to his suggestion. The sound seems pretty smooth, better than with the 10k resistors I began with. In fact, there's just no way this amp should sound good with such a cheap input transformer. I'm still scratching my head over that one. :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hey Choky, which input transformer are you using?

sorry - I wasn't awake last few days :rofl:

whatever I find , whenever I need

last was purchase from German e-pay , few pairs of small Beyerdynamic 1:7 and 1:10 xfromers , which I melted in Primare CD31 , for passive I/v conversion
ditto - no nasty passive resistor on DAC output , then xforming that voltage , but proper clean primary to differential PCM1704 ( pair , what else ) , then loading secondary 'till I get sweet spot , where transfer is linear from 20-20

funny thread is on Baby Diya ;

today's news is SUSY stage after xformer - to drive nasty PSM LS (optical volume) load .

next one is trying Babelfish UGS buffered stage , even if I'm not sure that present ( Juma's) simple diff. SUSY can be beaten in that place .

stage beaten , not Juma :rofl:

anyway - while I'm at keyboard - can anyone point me in right direction for more info about this Diamond ( I can't find it ......I remember that I saw it here , as sort of predecessor to Papa's SUSY ........ hitachi .... or someone else ? ) :

( edit : Jaccovitty is my hope - having memory as Elephant :clown: )

Attachments

• diamond.gif
    diamond.gif
    39.4 KB · Views: 282
Last edited: