The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Re: one more

dw8083 said:

Choky, What speakers are these? They look great. Did you build them?

-David

these are Sonido SFR200 in (unfinished) prototype AION horn ( original Sonido design ) and in MAU XII ;

nope - I didn't build them , they're made by ( AION) and for (MAU) my friend Igor .

I was there - as always - as Devil's advocate ...... :clown: ( read as - sick ideas are always mine , and they'll suffer later )

edit - I also have pre-cut sheets for Mau , in my garage ;
now all I need is little time ......

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nelson Pass said:
I see that Mark has created a new little sandbox for Choky to play in.

:cool:

it's nice to have sandbox , in Papa's playground ......

I feel cozy , at least 'till somebody try to lock me in .....

:clown:

Attachments

• 3d smile 116.gif
    3d smile 116.gif
    35.6 KB · Views: 729
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Gyuri,

Sadly, your English is so poor that it is impossible to understand your complaints and actually it is impossible to understand many of your posts.

I ask that you spend more time writing to try to make them comprehensible. If this requires you to post less, that wouldn't be a great loss as lots of incomprehensible posts is like spam. I'm sorry, but that's the truth.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I see that Mark has created a new little sandbox for Choky to play in.

Yes, but with a reason:

To clean up some other threads, we will be transferring some of the Off Topic from them to this one. My understanding its that the OT Gang will attempt to contain most OT here and encourage others to do the same.

Some of these members add a lot to our forum in terms of project design and actually building stuff, which are in fact the reasons for our existance, making people of this sort our most valued members.

BUT if their threads are so scrambled that no one wants to read them or are in fact impossible to read, their contributions become quite small and worse, very frustrating.

This is especially a problem in threads started by others, and about other's projects. To make other people's threads less comprehensible is just bad manners and egocentric. Lack of respect in my opinion.

Another example is the Pumpkin thread. After I ordered the parts and boards for the projects, I tried to review the thread for corrections and updates. Actually impossible until I spent more than 2 hours splitting off the useful posts into a separate thread.

The mods will be more strict about OT in threads, now, but I hope that there will now be more consideration of others. Some old OT posts in other threads will be moved here, others will be deleted. Off topic posts have always been subject to deletion, and I probably have been too lenient in this.

Variac
:captain:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
But at least if only I would be top notch in English!

I know that it is frustrating! from the above quote! Maybe best not to explore such profound concepts! Hard to express even in one's own language- impossible in one that you don't know well...

Hmmmmm, I've been looking for those "Crimes of OT" in the F(X) threads, and haven found much. Could I be wrong? Shocking!
If so, apologies... Then again I only got 3/4 of the way through the F5 thread.- That's a lotta posts!!:yikes:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ZM - with sorta reddish brain tonight

Variac said:

Hmmmmm, I've been looking for those "Crimes of OT" in the F(X) threads, and haven found much. Could I be wrong? Shocking!
If so, apologies... Then again I only got 3/4 of the way through the F5 thread.- That's a lotta posts!!:yikes:

you know that you always have my own respect , considering the job you must do ( same as other mods) ;

but ....

sometimes I feel annoyed with fact that some members are behaving as leechers ...... demanding strictly on topic posts , without much own contributing ; typical "hit & run" .

"gimme ookin' recipe ! " .....

certainly - that sort of behavior isn't reserved for Diyaudio ..... it's same in many other places , and ( luckily ?) usually in greater magnitude .

I know that job reserved for bunch of Mods isn't easy in any way ....
but I also have impression that Off Topic Mob certainly isn't worst group here ;

"our" threads are usual mess , but I'm spending enough time every day thinking and typing to someone who knows some things even less than me . and that's off-forum ; and that not just for dreky Pumpie and Shunty ; they are deserving just 10% of my own correspondence .
I know that I'm not the only one doing that .....we are usually contributing ...... even if our contribution is pretty much on fuse salvation level ....... :devily:

contrary to some "with OT Mob polluted threads" - with due respect to some members- there are also few disgusting threads ; pure vane and "my is bigger" playgrounds ;

I will always prefer "our" sandbox in Papaland ........

( is it Texas in Papaland ?
I have intention to grab entire Papaland in Texas ..... :rofl: )

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Don;'t forget this part!:

making people of this sort our most valued members.

Yup, you guys are, and I was lecturing toooo much! :smash: As we have discussed, we have to keep the human side here as well. Community is s important and what I truly love about this place...

How true that here is so much negativity in many threads, and NOT in the OT crowd's. One of my biggest weaknesses is continuing to obsess about a problem, after it is for all intents and purposes resolved. I have noticed in the F5 thread, as I mentioned, that there isn't an unreasonable amount of OT, but still keeps the light touch. AND lots of help from the same helpful (OT) characters This makes me think that our discussion a while back pretty much solved the problem. I may still clean up some threads- if I find that there is a problem, but I will have to find that problem first!!:rolleyes:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: ZM - with sorta reddish brain tonight

Zen Mod said:

but I also have impression that Off Topic Mob certainly isn't worst group here ;

"our" threads are usual mess , but I'm spending enough time every day thinking and typing to someone who knows some things even less than me . and that's off-forum ; and that not just for dreky Pumpie and Shunty ; they are deserving just 10% of my own correspondence .
)

Yes, Choky spends a good deal of time coaching thick headed people like myself basic stuff, and it is much appreciated.
:angel:

It must be low hanging fruit in order for me to answer a question, but it does happen. Ocasionally, like where to find parts besides rat-shack.
:D
Namaste'

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You know, helping with the low-hanging fruit is exactly what those of us who aren't experts need to do though.

Before I got into the Mod gig, that's what I mainly did, and it is a BIG help because it frees up the big boys for higher fruitier questions. It also helps keep them from burning out from answering the same questions over and over.

The only important rule is that you actually know what you are talking about a bit . Surprisingly, if you have hung out here for awhile, you DO know the answer to many questions- they are often really basic.. it just takes a bit of courage.

Mark

Did someone call me?

Choky, I've tried to hand in my resignation as moderator but they won't except it.

As Mark was saying it's nice to have different levels of experience here. Guys like me can hold the hands of the noobs while the smart guys like you can deal with the technical issues.

My speakers? Well let's just say that they're helping me get through my midlife crisis. I'm not much for driving a Corvette, wearing the gaudy jewellery, hanging out at the beach and doing a comb over. I'd rather invite the girls over and actually have something big to show them.

Cheers.