The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Having said that, sometimes when I came down to Orlando, FL to visit my parents at Christmas, the temperature would be 85F (29C). On one notable occasion, though, the temperature in Orlando on Christmas day was 19F(-7.2C). We were still getting water from a well at the time, and our water pump froze. Anything involving water and freezing temperatures is a miserable combination, and my poor Dad got to go outside and tinker with the pump in the cold. When I got back to Cali, it was a far more tolerable 65F (18C).

Last edited:
Yes!! The mailman delivered something really interesting for the weekend chillout, and for the new record player and pickup testing 🥁🎷🙂🎸🎻

:cheers:
03FBCB86-0FFF-4E14-B1B8-C32D6148631F.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I forgot to mention that i am going to compare my original vinyl release of the classic and extremely good sounding LP Thriller by Michael Jacksson, and the MoFi one step release of Thriller, as in the picture above. 🙂

Tony seems to be a really cool dude! Here are his latest video, perfect timing on the exactly right theme for the weekend. 😎👍

Well?

First 3 pictures to secure i am not just a lying troll with an Viking attitude. 🙂

Picture 1, unpacking the MoFi.
Picture 2, my old original pressing, from way back in the days.

Picture 3, MoFi spinning - Technics+Denon MC+Schiit Mani 2+ One of my two parallell coupled stereo Aleph Jz. 🙂

And i can tell you. I have so far been A:B playing just and only track one: Wanna be starting something.

And i can tell ya. The original sounds awesome!! As we all know. And. The MoFi sounds even better. Yes.

Why? In my opinion.

First i was thinkn. This sounds far larger than life. And yes it does. But the main thing for me always is: Does it make you do the Toetapping? Headbobbing???

So? Toetapping deluxe: MoFi edition. 🙂👍

Simply Trust your ears and toes 🎷🙂🎸

Attachments

• 48E82E92-6949-471E-A807-1F8180D52F19.jpeg
    48E82E92-6949-471E-A807-1F8180D52F19.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 255E387A-4F18-475C-82F3-33A695360B47.jpeg
    255E387A-4F18-475C-82F3-33A695360B47.jpeg
    394.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 5522376B-0714-4903-A20C-272FEE00E7E1.jpeg
    5522376B-0714-4903-A20C-272FEE00E7E1.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
@Nelson Pass , you will appreciate this, I imagine:

I was reading the forum with my ‘Big Qobuz List’ playing in the background as I evaluate my latest build, a Neurochrome Modulus 86 amp. As I was watching the Audiophiliac video on the ‘budget’ Technics turntable, La Force de Melodie by Thievery Corporation came on and I had to stop the video, hop up, and turn the volume up via the ACP+. 😎

Details:
LMS server and player running on a piCorePlayer
USB out to Topping E30 DAC (DAC mode)
ACP+ pre
Modulus 86 amp
Manzanita speakers

This hobby is still EXTREMELY fun.

Attachments

• 83AE5E93-C113-45FA-B01A-D01AB072E7B9.jpeg
    83AE5E93-C113-45FA-B01A-D01AB072E7B9.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I’ve discovered that ‘dialing in the sweetness’ to suit one’s preferences is the dopamine of this hobby.
I LOVE the experience of SE class A amps, but with the sugar toned back a bit from full-on (in the overall system).

For example, the F5 has been at the very top of my preferred system for a while. It has comparatively less overall distortion than some of the other FW diy amps. The ACP+ has a little sugar in its output, so that ACP+ and F5 combination clicked well for me.

I’ve also been impressed with lower-THD class D amps coupled with the ACP+. Conversely, I really enjoyed the lottery VFet amp directly out of my E30 DAC (with its adjustable volume), and the TDV SIT amp with the MiniDSP Flex Eight (though I had to crank up the output to max on that).

Recently I’ve been enthralled with the Scryer and ACP+ combo, the TDV and Khozmo DAC (with passive volume control between) in the dining room system, and now the Mod86 plus ACP+ in the main system as of today. And you’ll have to pry the ACA Mini out of my cold dead hands before I let it go. It is remaining in my bedroom system indefinitely.

Dial in your sweetness. It’s fun. You decide what works best for you. And with never-ending options! As ZM says, all roads lead to Rome.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yeah .....

as I said few times already - I'm blessed ........ equally enjoying with THD gene (say - as DEFiSIT is) and Lab amp (say - as Babelfish XA525 is), all driven with same ultraclean preamp

common nominator with all amps I like is dominant 2nd , while level of it isn't that important ..... judging by Foot BPM

Reactions: 2 users
water and freezing temperatures is a miserable combination
Living in a cold climate I've come to appreciate the struggle. This winter we had a long cold streak of -20F for almost two weeks. It was quite the adventure strategically placing heat lamps on key areas of the plumbing. One pipe froze, kitchen hot side, but never ruptured. Keeping the remaining faucets at just the right amount of drip was like biasing but for plumbing. After a week of subzero temps, thirty degrees feels almost like tropical tee shirt weather. TBH, 65F in San Diego is almost unbearable when you have that bone chilling humidity. Once the temps dip below freezing the moisture can't get at you and it's pretty easy to get acclimated.

Reactions: 1 user
Temps are jumping so much
They seem to be extreme jumps. The thermometer hit -12F today but aside from a few cold days this week and the long cold snap in December, it has been a very mild winter in my area of Montana; circa 28-33F, which is about perfect to my liking. We did have one crazy thing happen in November where the temperature dropped very rapidly, causing the powerlines to build up with about a 70mm ice sleeve across the entire pole to pole distance. The weight caused the lines to snap in the center, and I mean ALL of them. A several towns went without power for upwards of a week in freezing temperatures. Thirty year lineman had never seen or heard of such a thing happen. I think I need a nice hot coffee after reliving that one :coffee:

Last edited: