Nelson Pass

Since we are giving him a bad time...

Papa,

When are you going to build a DHT/SET amplifier? Actually, I'm sure you probably have. When will you design one to share with the rest of us? Given your propensity for reliability and sound quality it will be a winner when/if it comes.

Chris

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Since we are giving him a bad time...

chrismercurio said:
When are you going to build a DHT/SET amplifier? Actually, I'm sure you probably have. When will you design one to share with the rest of us? Given your propensity for reliability and sound quality it will be a winner when/if it comes.

Flattery will get you anywhere :)

Actually I do have such things. Big triodes have particular appeal to me, but now is not the
time to put them on the table. I'll try not to die in the meantime.

:cool:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Professor smith said:
I would like to know more about your background. What area of physics did you study as part of your degree. What area were you most interested in?

My degree is a BS in Physics from UC Davis, and there was not much specialization.

I spent time working with the Mossbauer Effect and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance,
(known later as MRI). I held a couple of jobs in the Atmospheric Sciences department
measuring atmospheric UV scattering caused by smog, TA in the Physics department
and RA in the first co-ed co-op housing on campus.

Like Einstein, good at visualizing concepts, not as good at math, wild hair, no socks.

Halfway through my undergraduate years Mike Maher and I created a small speaker
company, followed subsequently by ESS (the Heil wonder years), which financed the
remainder of my education. I graduated in 1974, left ESS, and started Threshold.

Looking back, it must have been a lot of fun.

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here's my (left field) interview question:

I found a couple of Louis Barron's circuit sketches online yesterday for stuff he used to make the "Forbidden Planet" sounds. I was led to wonder: Has Pass ever built a circuit for making music. Maybe a Theremin or analog synth? Ever met Bob Moog?

Also, would the one and only ever grant a sit down video interview?

I picture the SNL Chris Farley sketch:

Interviewer: Um, remember when you had that company, um Threshold?

Pass: Yes, I remember that.

Interviewer: That was awesome!!!!

Pass: Well, thanks.

Interviewer: Um, you remember when you made that, um Aleph?

Pass: Yep.

Interviewer: (points to Pass in awe) That was awesome!!!

Hello,

For all those interested in Mr. Pass' cv before Passlabs and SS vs tube:
http://stereophile.com/interviews/1191pass/

Actually I do have such things. Big triodes have particular appeal to me, but now is not the time to put them on the table. I'll try not to die in the meantime.
Building such an amp without being able to present it to it's "papa" would only be half the fun;-)

A Pass tube amp would be high-end² :cool: But in the first line I wish Mr. Pass a long and happy live (with or without tubes). A tuby sounding ss-amp is good enough for me.

Best wishes

Re: Re: Since we are giving him a bad time...

Nelson Pass said:

Flattery will get you anywhere :)

Actually I do have such things. Big triodes have particular appeal to me, but now is not the
time to put them on the table. I'll try not to die in the meantime.

He looked pretty healthy last time I saw him, so this is in no way, an indication of the release within the next decade :cool:

Magura :)

Wow, Quantum Mechanics was not mentioned? Wasn't that one of those answers?
Regarding Vacuum state Electronics... Were you refering to DHT's, older triodes, newer stuff like 6c33c or big old weird transmitter stuff??
I just like the idea of voltage gain with Hollow state and current gain with solid state. Does that make sense :confused:
:D Thanks Nelson :D The word "guru" was applied to someone
before you I'm sure, but, who was that??? Certainly not that guy with the Solid State Forum? He never posts in his own Forum???

:D