Nelson Pass

Zen Mod said:

I would like to ask Mr. Pass what's 42?

:rofl:

42..uhm... I saw that somewhere...

let me see...aha..that's the number of my shoes!! :D :D

(Not) Seriously....
I envy Papa because he made a living out of something that we consider a hobby. The rest of us mortals have to work boring jobs and then spend that money for the speaker/amplifier related experiments. :D

In reality, I am thankful to Papa for sharing some of his fun with us, along with saving us some money. Otherwise, I would still be listening to some mid-fi amplifier, and wouldn't have nearly as much fun.

:cool:

p.s. Liquid soap is in close connection with 42 ( I use it to wash my feet) :clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
:rofl:

Attachments

• autostop.jpg
    autostop.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,632
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Back in the early 90's, Pass Labs contracted with Mofi to build a replacement
cutterhead system. The existing system was Neumann driving an Ortofon
cutter head. The signal electronics of the original system used numerous
separate op amp based systems for gain, Eq, and feedback, and I reduced
this to a circuit using one LT1028. The power amplifiers driving the cutter head
were replaced by Class A complementary Mosfet amplifiers.

The project was more difficult than expected, but came out well.

Nelson Pass said:
Back in the early 90's, Pass Labs contracted with Mofi to build a replacement
cutterhead system. The existing system was Neumann driving an Ortofon
cutter head. The signal electronics of the original system used numerous
separate op amp based systems for gain, Eq, and feedback, and I reduced
this to a circuit using one LT1028. The power amplifiers driving the cutter head
were replaced by Class A complementary Mosfet amplifiers.

The project was more difficult than expected, but came out well.

Onestly when I listened to some of the new MOFI LPs and read of the new mosfet circuitry I thought that probably Passlabs was around there . Now I am confirmed .
:drink:

Hi Mr Pass,
Thinking of innovations like the "Ion Cloud" speaker way back in the 1980's, and the importance of matching amplifiers with appropriate speakers (for efficiency, if nothing else), I wonder if the norm should be amplifiers built into (or somehow packaged with) speakers where the combination is engineered together? Buyers are used to this at the very low end of the market (e.g. "PC speakers"), but where the benefits are greatest there seems to be little happening. Do designers feel the consumers are not ready, or consumers feel the designers don't like the idea, or are there technical reasons for not pushing the concept??