B1 Buffer Preamp

I say thank you for it to you Zen!

I was top notch always, that under the exterior seeming the superficial one an deeply thinker somebody exists.
Who knows it punctually moreover, what somebody's, who is thinking yet altogether, mentality may be like here today in Central Europe.

Gyuri

Something.

Forgive me, kind Grey!
I am not surprised at it altogether if your head begins to ache because of my English lingual inventions.:)
I have a headache very rarely fortunately. Does after all sometimes, so I know it how bad this. :mad:
I ask you do not consider the much silliness, which I wrote down, as a personal attack. :clown:
Not your respected person, but I wished to speak against the general phenomenon.
I trust it that the others with reasonable affection his full manifestations help to all of us to the mutual respect
and appreciation. At least in this "narrow" community for which one diyaudio forum its name.
I say thank you for it to everybody, who understood the intention for improvement between my words,especially.
And did not go past them speechlessly!
If only a teeny-weeny one will be better from this our world, the fight was worth it already that I did it
with this cursed machine translation program, myself and my thoughts.
Let me add it to this to it, I translated it once single Nelson Pass interview a translator with a program onto a Hungarian language.
I did not come to myself until three days because of the guffawing then.
And not because of the content!
So that I desire a good entertainment. :clown:
With the deepest affection and respect:

Gyuri

Something else.
I would like somebody stopping beside this question onto one or two words:
What do you say to this?

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

I am very curious about anybody's opinion, already if somebody has a thought from this direction.
I wait for their opinion especially who they have better insight into the things for an edge
in this manner they live in USA, than may be the kind for me.
Although the own one is my opinion from this circus is found already. :clown:

Music.

Yet a thought which cannot be neglected according to me:
After the authors, performers the sound engineer and his devices are responsible for what we listen to in the row.
Not the sound-recording media, not the player equipments, not the amplifiers, not the loudspeakers.
I exaggerated a small one of course in order for the thought to turn into more understandable one here now.

Gyuri

Thomas,

you could try omitting the 1M GND resistor alltogether -- the K170 would get its small, but still always neccessary bias current directly from the DS1802.

Another option would be bootstrapping the bias resistor, as per Fig.9h from this Siliconix appnote:
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys3330/phys3330_sp08/pdfdocs/AN102FETbiasing.pdf

Hopefully the DS1802 is click-free (make-before-break switch action), and quite probably it really is.

- Klaus

Now that we agree.
Let us concentrate at B1 Buffer Amplifier by Nelson Pass.
As I only read this topic once in a while,
could somebody tell me this:

Give me a couple of good reasons WHY to go for B1 Buffer Preamp
... and not one of my own great Buffer Preamp?

If given 3 good reasons :D :D :D I will build one B1 Buffer
and do some comparing testing to my own designs.
Lineup - thinks he knows, too - not only the master

Attachments

• phoney.gif
    phoney.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,971
Tolu said:
But why should be the DS1802 than not optimal for B1?

Output impedance of DS1802 ~ 45k
Input impedance of B1 ~ 1M
=> perfect impedance match !?

This is a very subtle point, but I'll try to give my take on it. Please re-read starting here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1611998#post1611998

In a nutshell, the non-linear input capacitance of the 2SK170 JFET causes more high frequency distortion as the source impedance increases.

With the recommended 50K pot, the worst case source impedance is roughly 50K/4 or 12.5K. Nelson has said you can use a 100K pot "if you must", which would give a worst case source impedance of roughly 25K. Worst case is when volume is set -6dB.
So by using a part with 45K source impedance, you are about 2X the worst case recommended source impedance. It may sound fine, but measured high frequency, high level distortion will likely not be the same as quoted in the B1 article. If you can find a unit with 10K output impedance it would be better.
BTW, it may be worthwhile testing the part to verify whether it really does have such a high output impedance. Sometimes the "minimum recommended next stage input impedance" gets misquoted by specs people as source or output impedance.

Well, I've worked in commercial FM radio and production studios, a major manufacturer's Bipolar front end, assembly, test, applications, etc. etc. etc. I've probably troubleshot more than anything else in all of those positions.
If I implied I was more qualified than others here, that was NOT my intention. The cool thing about DIYAudio is there are many people that have skills I lack, and interesting ideas. The list of people I respect here is too long for a post.
Doctor Smith
By the way, The Dr Smith comment cracks me up. Danger Will Robinson! Danger! LOL

Doug

BFNY said:

This is a very subtle point, but I'll try to give my take on it. Please re-read starting here

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1611998#post1611998

In a nutshell, the non-linear input capacitance of the 2SK170 JFET causes more high frequency distortion as the source impedance increases.

With the recommended 50K pot, the worst case source impedance is roughly 50K/4 or 12.5K. Nelson has said you can use a 100K pot "if you must", which would give a worst case source impedance of roughly 25K. Worst case is when volume is set -6dB.
So by using a part with 45K source impedance, you are about 2X the worst case recommended source impedance. It may sound fine, but measured high frequency, high level distortion will likely not be the same as quoted in the B1 article. If you can find a unit with 10K output impedance it would be better.
BTW, it may be worthwhile testing the part to verify whether it really does have such a high output impedance. Sometimes the "minimum recommended next stage input impedance" gets misquoted by specs people as source or output impedance.

The question is if the 45k of the DS1802 is input or output impedance!

lineup said:

If given 3 good reasons :D :D :D I will build one B1 Buffer
and do some comparing testing to my own designs.
Lineup - thinks he knows, too - not only the master
jam said:
.....................simpler, less expensive and designed by Mr.Nelson Pass. :D
Jam
--------------------------------------------------------------------
- simpler: definitely not! (less number of parts, significant for Lineup circuits)
- less expensive: defintiely not! (less money in than Rich Nelson. Right now: Exactly € 258 in bank)
- designed by Mr. Nelson: Yes! - And this can not be a bad thing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
But no way it is a certain thing.
Cause, if Nelson is human, he is intitled to make mistakes and less good.
If he does not, it certainly proves he is not a Human .. probably an in-human Robot/Computer.

Names. We all have one. Was given by our parents.
So what? One name does not make the circuit. Man does it.
The day you see me bow deeper for Nelson Pass, than any other man in this forum, this day does not exist.
All persons deserves equal much respect. And to be listened to.
This is main reason why I respect Nelson, the son of old Mrs. Pass.
Anyone that want to be appreciated by his name, deserve not my outmost respect.
-------------------------------

Anyone can give 3 better Resions than dear jam.
So, Give me 3 good reasons :) For to build the B1 Buffer Preamp.
Instead of start designing and build the Lineup Audio L1 Buffer Preamp :cool: