B1 Buffer Preamp

Nelson Pass said:
It is not the same. This buffer is single-ended.

Like this ?

Attachments

• buff.gif
    buff.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 10,290
for folks that want to read about design of the jfet single ended buffer, i wanted to share again this article from dennis feucht.

i first saw this circuit in the early 70's (yes, i am an old phart :) ) in some old (even back then) national semiconductor datasheets showing test circuits for some of their parts.

i don't have access to an audio precision (maybe mr. pass can share some data at some point), but you can get pretty good performance from this circuit using some cheaper, easier-to-get jfets like the 2N5484, etc. so, save your 2SKxxx for your phono preamps.
:D

enjoy!
mlloyd1

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
mlloyd1 said:
for folks that want to read about design of the jfet single ended buffer, i wanted to share again this article from dennis feucht.

i first saw this circuit in the early 70's (yes, i am an old phart :) ) in some old (even back then) national semiconductor datasheets showing test circuits for some of their parts.

i don't have access to an audio precision (maybe mr. pass can share some data at some point), but you can get pretty good performance from this circuit using some cheaper, easier-to-get jfets like the 2N5484, etc. so, save your 2SKxxx for your phono preamps.

An oldie but a goodie. I dropped the Source resistors on mine.

I don't have 2N5484 distortion curves, but the 2SK170 is pretty
spectacular, and the LSK170 is available and cheap enough.

:cool: