B1 Buffer Preamp

I've noticed sometimes DC on the wiper of a pot makes it noisy when you adjust the volume. So if you skip the input cap and you hear scratchy noise on volume adjustments, you'll know what it is. A discrete resistor based attenuator may work better in that scenario.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ready & cool

Here it is. The dual supply no coupling capacitors version of B1.
The offset is no problem. We can null it down to zero by adjusting one PSU side out of opposite balance. The channels keep almost totally together for offset. I used 2x6.9mA and 2x7.1mA Idss 2SK170BL as matched pairs. Because one channel grew a little (1.5mV) for offset when the other was totally null, I adjusted for +/- 0.3mV matched between channels. Had to make the PSUs +16/-15V for that. Watched it for 2 hours. No offset wandering. Then I fed 10kHz & 100kHz 6V peak to peak square waves through it, one channel after another. Could not see any difference from feeding the generator directly to the scope. I fed 6V p-p sine waves too. No deformation or compression. That is 2.1VRMS and the same as the CD output standard. I made it totally point to point and used a 50k Bourns dual Log that I had. Its paralleled with Dale resistors from wiper to ground. There is also a 7sec delay output relay circuit.
Listening tests I will do probably tomorrow, hopefully with the aid of a friend. There is a sequence of tell tale pictures concluding my construction report.

Attachments

• null2.jpg
    null2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 4,093