Balanced line stage connected to pc with soundcard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I resently put out some quistion about soundcard's for playing music through my not
finished Balanced line stage and my 6months old Leach amp 4.5 (still goe's strong)
in the DIGITAL forum here at DIY-Audio.

When I started my project with my pass BoSoZ, I had some trouble with howto use it unbalanced and so on, and got the right answers here of couse, from you guy's.

Actually I'am right now etching my redisigned PCB (Pictures later).

But I was woundering if any of you, know a soundcard which sound good ??? (Maybe someone tried it on the line stage).

I know that the line stage doesent make any changes to the music-quality, but I was hoping someone could help me out here.

I had some soundcards in mind.

Hoontech DSP 24 Value (RCA)
M-audio audiophile 2496
Terratec ewx 2496
etc...

But someone told me, that using a card with minijacks couldent harm when playing mp3 or ogg files...

I know this isen't the right forum....So please do not make to much noise on mee :)

High quality soundcards

They do exist - mostly made for professional work. I have two Digigram.. a PCX9 and PCX11+. The cheap one is $2500. These cards offer balanced analog and/or AES/EBU inputs and outputs. They also come with a certification sheet with the cards performance done in .1 dB increments. You can use either its clock or input another one... signficantly reducing jitter.

I will use one of these to test out the amp I am building.. then bring it into work and run it on the AP1. (Oh the joy of having access to the tools, even if they ain't mine).

Good soundcard

Hej Lykkedk !
A litte advice based on my own expirence would be for you to get your hands on an older DA converter, eg. a Cambridge DAC 3 like I use, and then a cheap semi-pro soundcard - I use a hoontech that costed 795,- Dkr. 1½ years ago - it only has two analog in and out with the usual sucky minijacks, but it has a very nice digital out, hence the DA converter. I find this combination to be a whole lot better than eg. a new soundblaster card, witch all have the disadvantage that the resample all music coming in and out of them.

Another bonus is that the CAD3 has real balanced outputs for your BOSOZ :)

Sig til hvis jeg skal hitte ud af hvad det Hoontech-kort hedder, du kan sikkert få det for en slik ligesom en brugt DAC3....

Cheers !

Hans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.