F5 power amplifier

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Geritol targeted old folks, and I believe Geritol is based on the word geriatric.

I remember watching the Ted Mack Amateur Hour (it was only half an hour long) in the sixties when I was a kid and Geritol was a major sponsor, along with Sominex, which was a sleep aid.

So it's for old folks.

I finished my F5 three days ago.
I let it cook the first day, then listen most of the day yesterday until late at night.
I switch on today and listen for another three hours.
I wanted to check the bias as mention in different threads, so I open the chassis and I found this :

Fuite-Nichicon--IMG_20191008_112013-copie.jpg - Google Drive

So I am going to wipe it out, but is it nescessary to change it ?

I finished my F5 three days ago.
I let it cook the first day, then listen most of the day yesterday until late at night.
I switch on today and listen for another three hours.
I wanted to check the bias as mention in different threads, so I open the chassis and I found this :

Fuite-Nichicon--IMG_20191008_112013-copie.jpg - Google Drive

So I am going to wipe it out, but is it nescessary to change it ?
Check the level of ripple on this rail, and then check if the capacitors that you will use as a replacement are of sufficient ripple current and/or temperature handling capability.

Actually, when I recieved them all, they were packed into a bubble plastic pouch, and there was already a leakage but I couldn't figure out which one was bad or even if few were.
I bought two extra and they seem ok.
Now, as I have to replace it, I wonder if I shouldn't do it for all with another brand, Mundorf for example.
It could be also because I used tin solder only with no lead and I needed to heat up like mad. That was the only components soldered with that crappy solder.

If they're from Mouser then I would expect they are genuine; more likely you just
had one that was damaged (perhaps in transit)?

It can happen, no big deal, Mouser don't sell purposely deficient items !
As I knew these things happen, I ordered more items than needed.
For example I have a spare rectifer , fuses , Jfets, resistors and still one more of these caps.

Just finished assembling my F-5, but I keep blowing the fuses when powering up (I don't have a Variac, so full on...). I tested the power supply before connecting the boards and it ran without a problem. I re-checked all the connections and P1 and P2 are all the way anti-clockwise (until they make this clicky sound). P3 is not installed as I don't have the measuring equipment.

See some pictures attached. Any idea where the problem could be?

Attachments

• IMG_6913.jpg
    IMG_6913.jpg
    864.3 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_6916.jpg
    IMG_6916.jpg
    836.5 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_6917.jpg
    IMG_6917.jpg
    836.6 KB · Views: 305
Just finished assembling my F-5, but I keep blowing the fuses when powering up (I don't have a Variac, so full on...). I tested the power supply before connecting the boards and it ran without a problem. I re-checked all the connections and P1 and P2 are all the way anti-clockwise (until they make this clicky sound). P3 is not installed as I don't have the measuring equipment.
See some pictures attached. Any idea where the problem could be?
Did you try to power it up via a series old-tech filament bulb/halogen_lamp, of a wattage higher than the whole amplifier? The "soft-start" concept to fill up the filter capacitors, under load?

Attachments

• Soft Start Trivial.jpg
    Soft Start Trivial.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 308
As Dennis says, measure ohms across R6 and R5 and adjust the pots in whatever way is necessary to make that reading zero or very little. The pots don't necessary turn "down" by being turned anti-clockwise.

This is going to be helpful to me as I did not zero mine before I mounted them.
Anyway, looking forward to you getting yours going and your listening impressions