F5 power amplifier

I see the differences on psu PCB . Photos from guide tapatalk_1549131884622.jpeg tapatalk_1549131897285.jpeg

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Nope. If I did how would I use it.

That's a really good question...I have one but have not actually used it on a FW amp. I'm thinking it would be clamped on the + of the mains inlet inside the chassis and set to "peak hold" to measure inrush current. After that it could be used to measure normal operating current draw.

I'll try it and report back.

I'm using 3 amp fuses in an F5 with a 600VA toroidal with dual 24V secondaries feeding 120,000uF of caps. Never popped a fuse with cold CL60's. It'll pop a fuse in a heartbeat if the CL60's are at all hot. That power is going somewhere and I'd be pretty curious where.

I think the cause is an intermittent AC connection from the PEM. I'll get rid of the crimped quick disconnects and solder the connections.

Well this is embarrassing, the CL60s were bypassed since I built the amp. There were two plates on the terminal block making the CL60s redundant. My first clue was they were generating no heat. They now heat up and the PS lights up more gently.

Was this doing damage to the amp other than blowing fuses? :confused:

Well this is embarrassing, the CL60s were bypassed since I built the amp. There were two plates on the terminal block making the CL60s redundant. My first clue was they were generating no heat. They now heat up and the PS lights up more gently.

Was this doing damage to the amp other than blowing fuses? :confused:

No damage. Its hard on the caps, but not a big deal.

BTW, don't touch a CL60 with your hands if that's what you were doing. It's full of line voltage and one nick in the insulation or touch of the uninsulated lead and...

Also, if you are trying to bias the amplifier to a specific value you may need to rebias it. The thermistor makes the line voltage a little lower, which makes the rail voltage a little lower. Which makes the bias a little lower.

No damage. Its hard on the caps, but not a big deal.

BTW, don't touch a CL60 with your hands if that's what you were doing. It's full of line voltage and one nick in the insulation or touch of the uninsulated lead and...

Also, if you are trying to bias the amplifier to a specific value you may need to rebias it. The thermistor makes the line voltage a little lower, which makes the rail voltage a little lower. Which makes the bias a little lower.

Thanks, I have an infrared thermometer and an aversion to touching live components. :hot: I had it biased a little hot anyway.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes and no. Without potentiometers front he rails to the Jfets, you'll have no way to set operating points and offset. That simplified schematic is only a few parts simpler than the real circuit... might as well make the F5 and use a smaller PSU for your target power output.