F5 power amplifier

+1
Also I referenced ground from the ground of the RCA input and had that connected to PSU ground.

inside 1.jpg

Please excuse the caps and the mess. This is an old pic, it doesn't look like this now :D
If you can see I combined the ground at RCA and went directly to PSU ground. I also took speaker ground from PSU ground as well. The ground from the amp board should "flow" towards the RCA ground to PSU.
I had hum as well when I connected otherwise. This way I don't get hum even when attached to 104db speakers and 25db gain pre.

Hi There!
I think I got some problems, I can't solve. At first I got the Cviller F5c V2.0 and got a lot of smoke. I did one channel only, but could not get it to working order. So I had also some Peter Daniels boards, and decided to build them also, and fired them up. I had on the output at first -47 mv and could change that to 0.00 mv with the pots. I also checked R11 and R12 but they did not doing anything, they stayed at 0.00mv. The mosfets didn,t getting warm. So I shut down the amplifier and saw the output running down from 0.00 to first -47mv than going up147mv and than going back to zero. I could not measure any DC on the psu when in the on position. Checking the psu without the ampboards, they measured 23.5vdc. Maybe there are some people on the forum who can help me. Grtz Teake

problem with crydom solid state relay

Greetings,

Has anybody had any success powering up an F5 through a crydom ssr.
When I connect the relay to the 1 tfo for stereo output, no problem, when I connect relay to a dual mono configuration, the tfo's produce noise.I mean physical hum on the tfos themselves. The dual mono is just the same as stereo except I split the channels with their own ps. When I power through the on-off switch directly connected to the fuse, I get no noise. I read that the crydoms don't like high inductive loads. Since this is touching mains 120V, I'd like to have expert advise.

Does any one know how to resolve this?

kind regards.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
wtf is beacuse is easy to put link , to give necessary info

suppresor diodes are sort of bidirectional zenners , and their role is to cut/swallow high voltage spikes

same role as varistors , if memory serves me well

anyway - clarify difference between your "stereo" and "dual mono " ?

meaning one vs. two xformers , or one xformer in both cases but one vs. two C banks ?

in both cases it seems that either load is too much or too much inductive ;
in later case suppressor can help

I always thought dual mono was like 2 monoblocks in the same case.
stereo is 2 channels powered by one tfo , 1 rectifier and one ps bank.

Nonetheless, yes, I am swithching on 2 tfos, 2 rectifiers and 2 ps banks for 2 F5 channels with the same crydom relay which is speced at 40amps so I think it can handle the load.

I'll continue my research

thanks for input.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I wouldn't use SSR for high power transformer/motor loads. The switching devices don't like those.

You can get away by over-rating the SSR about 100x. I use a 30A device to power up a small 400W Class AB subwoofer amp. I still do get some noise at turn-on and turn-off, but it's worth it for the convenience.

Why exactly are you using the SSR and not a big switch? A single 10A switch is sufficient for two channels of F5 including the heavy inrush current.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Tried with a 10a switch without any issues.

Its the ss relay that gives problems and I'm using it to have a push button switch at the front of the chassis. Though I may have to revise my plan.

also, Can I use the SS relay if use a soft start circuit?

regards.

I don't think a soft start will protect the SSR and transformers from each other.

You can use a regular mechanical relay, you need the latching type. Or simply use the pushbutton to momentarily power a relay that turns the amp on, as well as a second relay that bypasses it. That's two relays, but if your pushbutton can take it, you could probably power up the amp itself through it.

Crydom have been making various SSRs 'forever' and I'm sure this problem has occurred before and that there's a simple solution in their company information centre.

We used a simple 'work-around' ccts for our own SSRs some years ago, and from memory, it centred about controlling the 'back emf' from multiple lighting transformer loads, avoiding false triggering, filtering induced circuit noise, etc (in the entertainment industry) - it was over 30 years ago, but I'll see if I can find the info.

Greetings,

Has anybody had any success powering up an F5 through a crydom ssr.
When I connect the relay to the 1 tfo for stereo output, no problem, when I connect relay to a dual mono configuration, the tfo's produce noise.I mean physical hum on the tfos themselves. The dual mono is just the same as stereo except I split the channels with their own ps. When I power through the on-off switch directly connected to the fuse, I get no noise. I read that the crydoms don't like high inductive loads. Since this is touching mains 120V, I'd like to have expert advise.

Does any one know how to resolve this?

kind regards.

The Buzz you often hear when transformers are controlled with SSR or Triac or Back to Back Thyristors is due to the Zero Crossing Point not being Zero, it like cross over distortion.
This distortion also presents itself as EMC induced on to the power supply and is filtered Crydom have used there same basic design since Philips designed it in the early 1960's and taken up by IR and others.
The design can to be produced to reduce the level of EMC and distortion to a level that falls within the EMC specification mentioned below.

More info on this can be found here ROOT2 Limited - LOW NOISE SOLID STATE RELAY
The patent mention is one I did a few year ago, I am about to rethink the whole thing again.

http://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/album.php?albumid=1043&attachmentid=14829
So that WTF is a SSR:eek:

Last edited: