F5 power amplifier

An amp simple enough for even a tube guy?

Hopefully a few quick questions. I'm a Neanderthal with SS stuff (still learning to walk upright I guess).

Gathering parts to build a pair of F5s to use with my Altec Model Nineteens.

I've received 2 pair of 2SK170 and 2SJ74 BLs matched at 6.7mA Idss.

Nelson just mentioned 8mA. Do I need to juggle any resistor values on the schematic to use what I've got, or is the Idss value not that critical to its circuit requirements?

Also, for the 0.47 and 100 ohm resistors, are non-inductive required (if wirewounds are used)?

Thanks,
-Steve

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: An amp simple enough for even a tube guy?

steve jones said:
Nelson just mentioned 8mA. Do I need to juggle any resistor values on the schematic to use what I've got, or is the Idss value not that critical to its circuit requirements?

Also, for the 0.47 and 100 ohm resistors, are non-inductive required (if wirewounds are used)?

Thanks,
-Steve

there is no need to alter values of resistors;

non inductive can't harm , but they aren't so critical ; at least in my book .....

use whatever you have now ; later you can go for fancy ones

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: An amp simple enough for even a tube guy?

steve jones said:
I've received 2 pair of 2SK170 and 2SJ74 BLs matched at 6.7mA Idss.

If by chance you find yourself short on bias, you can raise the
values of R3 and R4 (or even eliminate them) to develop enough
voltage to get the bias current you want.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steve jones said:
Thanks to both Zen Mod and Nelson for the help and advise.

:)

who's Nelson ?

Attachments

• rofl.gif
    rofl.gif
    25.5 KB · Views: 2,396
I went out and bought the May issue. I am translating the article into modern standard Neanderthal as we speak. So far I understand that water goes down the drain, through the gate(valve) and becomes the source of many fine sounds. The rest is still magic. But since I can barbeque on a rock, I feel competent to build this amp. :D

slug

bananaslug86 said:
I went out and bought the May issue. I am translating the article into modern standard Neanderthal as we speak. So far I understand that water goes down the drain, through the gate(valve) and becomes the source of many fine sounds. The rest is still magic. But since I can barbeque on a rock, I feel competent to build this amp. :D

slug

Those little things are homes for magic genies
so long as they are kept inside, they work their magic.
But if one escapes (looks like smoke) then things stop working ;)

Re: F5 article

Nicola said:
Argh, the postman is putting his life at risk, i haven't received the April release of AXP yet. Would anybody accept to mail me a scan or when might it be available under FirstWatt ?
Wow! I ordered a brand spanking new subscription and already got the May issue. I haven't had time to sit down and read it yet, but it is indeed sitting on my desk right now. :D

You definitely need to sit your postman down and have a little "chat".

Hello everyone,

Sorry to be annoying but that's funny how no one did give a damn about the Profet schematic in it's time despite the rave reviews by audioXpress... So it's all by a well-known french designer named Plantefeve and he's got a nice website about amplifiers too. So, as he was somehow the first to introduce this design, I invite you to have a look at his page. Just to give him a little thumb up for that. And yes, he also has a low impedance feedback version of it...

Just my 2 cents

Thanx

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
darian said:
Hello everyone,

Sorry to be annoying but that's funny how no one did give a damn about the Profet schematic in it's time despite the rave reviews by audioXpress... So it's all by a well-known french designer named Plantefeve and he's got a nice website about amplifiers too. So, as he was somehow the first to introduce this design, I invite you to have a look at his page. Just to give him a little thumb up for that. And yes, he also has a low impedance feedback version of it...

Just my 2 cents

Thanx

that's how things works ;

anyway - for curious ones , Profet and Plantefewe's work is well known ;

you'll see (if you search) that his schematics are sorta often cited here

in any case - hat is certainly often off , regarding work of eccentric French constructeurs ....... ;)

not to mention that you have some of nicest loudspeakers in recent history ..... (meaning on Cabasse oldies, Triangle , Supravox, Fertin)