F5 power amplifier

Attachments

• f5-pcb.jpg
    f5-pcb.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 2,770
Well, posting this after Borkos superb PCBs :worship: will make me ridiculous at the face of the whole DIY community... :xeye:

As an exercice, I tried to copy - shame on me - Admirable Nelson's FW PCB and I am not very satisfied with the result.
Especially the connection between Q5 and input Jfet seems less than convincing on my layout, but my weeny brain cannot find a better way.

Any Idea ...?
Or should I best give up?

Manu

Attachments

• my_f5_r0.zip
    67.8 KB · Views: 652
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:
Well, posting this after Borkos superb PCBs :worship: will make me ridiculous at the face of the whole DIY community... :xeye:

As an exercice, I tried to copy - shame on me - Admirable Nelson's FW PCB and I am not very satisfied with the result.
Especially the connection between Q5 and input Jfet seems less than convincing on my layout, but my weeny brain cannot find a better way.

Any Idea ...?
Or should I best give up?

Manu

I like them

YGFM

jacco vermeulen said:

Compared with a couple of years ago even more :beep
Way to go, Bro.

Jacco that was very cruel of you :smash: :D

Few days ago I`ve seen one of mine beginner`s post and I`ve blushed :D

My english is a bit better now, I hope but more important I made a good progress in audio electronics, made my Aleph variation "Krypton": http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109097&highlight=

and I`m now deep in developing my low feedback class a hybrid amplifier and I`m happy abou it :cool:

Cheers!
Borko.

My F5 from Aleph J chassis

My completed project of F5 from Aleph J chssis, I mis understood about parallel 2.4 ohm on the positive site so then I use both site of amplifier :(

Its sound so beautiful but if I need more power , how do I do ?

Thanks
Rubydac

Attachments

• f5 new.jpg
    f5 new.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2,909
> but if I need more power , how do I do ?

If you consider the dissipation on each MOSFET, they are at 24V 1.3A bias -> about 30W. I would not advise you to go beyond that. So more power always means more MOSFETs.

The maximum output is designed at about 20V 2.6A, i.e. optimised for 8ohm load.

If you have a high impedance speaker, you need more drive voltage. Probably easiest is to drive 2x F5 as bridged amps feeding one speaker using balanced input. Maximum power is now optimised for 16 ohm load.

If you have a low impedance speaker, you need more current rather than voltage. You can of course start paralleling matched output devices (e.g. using 2 pairs of MOSFETs will give maximum power at 4 ohm). But paralleling MOSFETs will change the frequency dependent characteristics of the amplifier.

Patrick