F5 power amplifier

How accurate is a fuse and what if one blows and the other one doesnt? Dunno if thats the answer. Maybe fast blow on AC but I dont see how you can purposely blow a fuse to protect a speaker against DC.. if thats the concern.

Thought the F5 current limiter was there to prevent the FETs from selfdestruction in case of shorts and other fault conditions. A fuse in the power rails would do the same thing, cut of the power once you reach a certain current level.

As this reliable amp accepts 2 ohms loads without burping and as i am wise enough not to short the outputs, i do not need current limiters.
If by chance i make a short, i am able to fix.
Those who intend to sell or give away their F5 have better to implement current limiting. One never knows what inexperimented users can do.

Edit : I fear fuses aren't fast enough

what if one blows and the other one doesnt?

The F5 has the nice peculiarity not to show dc output when one rail is missing.

Last edited:
IMO Current limiter to start with and then improve the sound quality by taking it off but IMO only if super duper protection is in place.

How much power dissipation needed for a mosfet to run EGG 4 A at 28V ???

agree enough heath to get rid off but maybe it could just sit on one corner all by itself.
Well maybe with the negative rail one just to keep it company

Neutrality yes it may be but then you have loads of energy stored in the caps

Is the may be that scare me.

Channel or washer yey by me Single srew on tab no so much
Big 5mm copper bar on top even beter but then I tend to complicate things.

If it works for one it works for them all

Not black oil but an oil based paint that is black. Well, thats Rod's information.. I just spit it back out here. He says black oil paint very very thin is the best but that anodizing is good to, you can see on his graphs. I would go for the anodizing option but then again you would still be buying a sink that cant compete with HS USA sinks. Honestly in the USA the HS USA guys have the best deal that I can find and the extrusion is made, in my opinion, especially for Pass DIY efforts. Its just my guess but I am betting Russel started his business to take care of us.
Copper spreads the heat the fastest but it doesnt like to LET GO of the heat. Aluminum spreads it pretty fast as well AND dissipates. Aluminum is best in a sink. You want to use a heat spreader? Probably copper is best but I would use some sort of thermal paste to help get the heat from the copper over to the aluminum and you will find folks telling you that copper on top of aluminum causes some sort of chemical reaction and I forget what else happens but two odd metals touching for a long time has some chemical reaction that has been discussed here before. I think if you use the paste you might not worry so much about this reaction.
Uriah

Edit: Oooooh we are creeping up on 10,000 posts!

Thanks for this!
So I'm sold on the HS USA sinks but I'm trying to figure out what length I need for each side of the stereo amps.
Do you guys think 8" is enough or do I need to go all the way to 12" like Labjr did?

Thoughts?

Thanks for this!
So I'm sold on the HS USA sinks but I'm trying to figure out what length I need for each side of the stereo amps.
Do you guys think 8" is enough or do I need to go all the way to 12" like Labjr did?

Thoughts?

Well, Nelson recommends 96 sq in. per channel so I added a little more to be sure since I don't know how this particular heatsink will perform. I imagine a 10 in piece would be sufficient. I believe somewhere back in this thread someone tried a 7 inch piece of the same stuff and thought it ran a little hot.

http://www.cooperbussmann.com/pdf/28d25196-9efd-4d0b-ac91-c8e536281e0a.pdf

Specs for fuses
It take times fo them to blow depending on the current

Supose 20 V rails and a mosfet Blow
You need the fault loop impedence to find out the fault current.

0.47 R the resistor on the source + wiring iside the amp + resistance of the power cord +resistance of the wiring inside the house+ resistance of the wires from your fuse board to the earting point of the distribution system.

say total impedence of the circuit 1 ohm 20V / 1 =20 A

You put the termistor on the ground to reduce ground loops ad the resistance to that and recalculate
Pick your fuse and folow the curve to where those 20 A cross the time.

I think you seen the wires on the coil winding on the speaker.

If you shure it will take it fine
If you don't know and don't care fine again.

On the third hand if you don't know and prefer to be safe ask.

Thats what I did and for shure a mosfet is faster than a fuse.

Will they take it fo that long

Thanks for this!

Thoughts?

My heatsinks in cm are 150*350 and the fins are 50mm. With 1.4 amp on each mosfet it get warm, but not hot. I use raw aluminum.

D.

typo?

My heatsinks in cm are 150*350 and the fins are 50mm. With 1.4 amp on each mosfet it get warm, but not hot.
I can see they never get hot !
150cm*350cm would need a crane to install them.

What size are the fins? 350*50 or 150*50?
Are they aligned vertically for best air flow?
How thick is the backplate?
How have you attached the FETs to the heatsink?

My heatsinks in mm are 150*350 and the fins are 50mm. With 1.4 amp on each mosfet it get warm, but not hot.

Small wonder.
Reads like a very nice heatsink.

Attachments

• 568.jpg
    568.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 890