F5 power amplifier

Good CD / SACD / DVD-A Player

While you can still find them on eBay, pick up a Pioneer Elite DV-58AV. It plays everything except Blu-Ray, uses excellent Burr-Brown DAC's and even outputs DSD data via it's HDMI 1.3 port. You won't find a better buy, (around $300-400), and it sounds fabulous......puts a lot of the more expensive stuff to shame. It's no slouch with DVD-V's either !!

A GREAT vintage player is the Pioneer Elite PD-65 stable platter, but they are getting increasingly hard to find.

Re: Good CD / SACD / DVD-A Player

dcbingaman said:
While you can still find them on eBay, pick up a Pioneer Elite DV-58AV. It plays everything except Blu-Ray, uses excellent Burr-Brown DAC's and even outputs DSD data via it's HDMI 1.3 port. You won't find a better buy, (around $300-400), and it sounds fabulous......puts a lot of the more expensive stuff to shame. It's no slouch with DVD-V's either !!

A GREAT vintage player is the Pioneer Elite PD-65 stable platter, but they are getting increasingly hard to find.

I think that's a Kal Rubinson favorite (DV-58AV) ...and I still have a couple hundred Laserdiscs.

Re: Adding Fans to F5

steveleen said:

My concern is how to best wire the fans to the power supply for lowest electrical interference into the F5 signal stages. So far I am thinking:
wind a 6Vac and a 1Vac secondary onto to your toroid using 0.5mm or 0.6mm diameter wire. Rectify it and smooth it.
Run the motor off that DC supply. Don't connect it in any way to the audio side. If the 6Vac is too slow then try 7Vac, if still too slow add another 1Vac winding and try 8Vac.

Re: Re: Adding Fans to F5

AndrewT said:
wind a 6Vac and a 1Vac secondary onto to your toroid using 0.5mm or 0.6mm diameter wire. Rectify it and smooth it.
Run the motor off that DC supply. Don't connect it in any way to the audio side. If the 6Vac is too slow then try 7Vac, if still too slow add another 1Vac winding and try 8Vac.

That should work fine unless you have a Plitron toroid with the epoxy in the center.

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
ccschua said:

I am not sure if it is correct to ask here. Can the tube preamp and F5 be able to drive a Dynaudio Focus 140 which is 85dB sensitivity, recommended 200W into 4ohm.

I drive 84dB/ 8ohm, which is well known as power hungry, with B1 buffer (0dB-gain) and F5. I have also tried with my tube pre (with gain) and F5, and found very loud sound.

At present, I drive four of the above speakers (two paralled to 4ohms each channel) with single set of B1/F5.

Not in the public hall . . . but at my living room . . .

Just for your info . . .

:)

stein2 said:
It all depends on your ear's sensitivity... Something will bleed. Either F5, Dynaudio or your ears... Aleph5 would probably make those speakers suffer, F5 probably not...

Impedance curve of Dynaudio Focus 140 speakers (in attachment) shows that it will give hard time to Aleph 5 which can deliver only 30W at 4 Ohms. On the other hand F5 will happily deliver 10 A (peak) even in to 2 Ohms load. So, more MOSFETs and more heat doesn't always mean more power...;)

Attachments

• 506140fig1.jpg
    506140fig1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,134
Powering F5 fans

Thank you, Andrew, for the reminder of something I already knew: don’t do anything that would contaminate the signal!

I thought about some other fan power supply options and, while looking in the junk box, came across several old Nokia phone chargers (wall wart style). I checked the specs, then I tested these off of line AC. I connected the DC-outs in series and then connected the two fans paralleled across the resulting DC voltage. One charger doesn’t even move the fans. Three chargers gives very good speed, but too much fan noise. Two chargers in series works just right, producing a moderate amount of air flow with virtually no sound. The modules, after removal from their wall wart cases, are small and they will be easy to mount in a corner of the amp case, fed by the incoming line AC. I will report later on the perceived (via touch test) effect on heatsink temp.

Uriah – will send pics once everything completed.

Steve

Somewhere in the mini-aleph thread theres a lovely little fan speed controller from Nelson. Gives a shot of current on startup to allow the fan to start reliably but also allows you to turn teh voltage right down and give very quiet operation. I used it in my minialeph. I'm sure I can dig out the schematic (which is very simple) if you are going with fans.

Fran