How much heat sink is necessary?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm working on a pair of Aleph 2's, and was curious how much heat sinking is necessary. I know that more is generally better, but I'll have to get these things past the wife! I've got a bunch of 10" x 4 3/4" heat sinks, with 2" deep fins, as shown in the attached picture. I'm not sure if I could get away with 2 per side (resulting in a 10" high and 9 1/2 inch deep amp), or three. I'm planning making monoblock amps. One other thought was to use two per side, and one on the end. Of course, I also need to fit the transformer and caps inside too. Comments?

Thanks,
Ross

Attachments

• sinks1.jpg
    sinks1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 563
There are formulas to calculate heat dissipation based on pre-determined power to deliver to speaker. The idea is you will heat up each one of the MOSFET to a reasonable degree. (If one knows how to do this, he might be an experienced builder. If he was, he would have known the required size only by quick glance at the heatsink).

Personally, I think your heatsinks are acceptable. People defined the “allowable hottest temperature” as if you just couldn’t put your finger on the heated heatsink for several seconds. The hotter the temperature the shorter it’s usefull life. That’s it.

To compensate for the heat, you can/must:
1. Blow with fans
2. Reduce current by altering the ccs setting (but the output power will be lowered too, just a bit)
3. Reduce power supply voltage or DC rails voltage (the output will be lowered too)
4. Install the MOSFET on the heatsink properly (with great care and tricks)
5. The heatsink must be exposed to open air (depend on the position, if the wind/air can access the heatsink better from front, then put it vertical ;) )

Go for 3 per side. That would make it almost exactly the same size as my A2s I'm building.

My sinks are 10.5 tall by 6.75 wide by amost 2 deep. I loaded one with 4 - 150 ohm resistors (aluminum cased sinkable 50W units) and hooked it up to the psu. Final temp was 155 F with 140 watts total. So I calculated that at 100 watts per sink, 400 watts total dissapation, I'll run 34 deg C over ambient. I also plan to add fan in chassis and drill 2 small holes in the base of sink between each fin to exaust air. If it drops temp enough, Ill up the bias to drive 200W at 4 ohm. Worst case, I'll have a std Aleph 2 without running the fan.

Anyway, 3 of your sinks are the same rough shape, size, and fin spacing as my 2 and I can dissapate 400 w per chassis, so yours should work fine as shown. Elevate it at least 1 inch.

Thought I would show you gents a pic so you didn't thing I was all hot air. I like the reflection of the chop saw.

I have enough aluminum shavings on my garage floor to cast an aluminum small block chevy.

PS, I found a salvage yard in Houston TX with 12 sheets (Yes, 4' x 8') of 1/4" aluminum plate for $1.25 per pound. Cuts are an extra charge and with a torch.

Attachments

• s_chassis.jpg
    s_chassis.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 3,140
Dewalt skill saw with negative raked blade for non ferrous metal.
Use a good strong straight edge and clamps, set the blade to 1/2 inch deeper than metal thickness, and for gods sake use face sheild. The finish cuts are straight and smooth. (with small chatter marks) Works great. cuts are to 5 /1000 or so. A saw with 13 amp min and no end play is needed.

The sinks were a 4' extrusion I cut on 12" chop saw with same type of blade.

Can you recommend a blade for both? I have the 12" dewalt and I tried using a high speed metal blade (composite) I had lying around. It wears too quickly to cut my heat sinks so that the motor housing touches the material before it's all the way through.

I thought about just renting a 14" chop saw from Home Depot which should have no trouble even with blade wear.

Thanks.

Blade

12 inch chop saw is compound miter, not abrasive saw.
I use Dewalt # DW3229 80 Tooth triple chip -5 deg rake.
They retail for about $85.00. The anodizing is very hard, so try to push through it quickly or it will dull the carbide quickly. But don't be too agressive or it may bend the fins and bind. That would be bad in many regards!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.