Aleph P 1.7 questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have ordered diy boards for the Aleph P1.7. I'm not too familiar with it but have built the BOSOZ and it looks familiar.
I have been pouring through threads at diyaudio/passlabs for descriptions/manuals for this project. Some comments interest me and I thought I'd ask.
This is a high current source with high output impedance which can drive a short circuit.
I am aware of the recommended potentiometer for volume control at the output, would(n't) the circuit benefit from a set voltage divider at the output rather than a variable resistance? Is there some optimum value or does it matter? Certainly there would be less interaction with the next stage.
Secondly, I have seen it mentioned that there should be pots at the input to avoid overloading the mosfets. Is this a real concern? What is overload, 2 volts, 10 volts? Again, would the circuit benefit from a set voltage divider rather than a variable resistance?

if you post here your email adress i can send you the service manual for the Aleph P 1.7, in case you don't have it.
Anyways, the orginal project, by Nelson Pass, states that there is a stepped shunt type attenuator placed at the output of the preamplifier.
You can eather use the value that Nelson used on the project or you can make one larger and therefore finer by calculating the appropriate values.

Here a link on the forum that talks about this issue:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1309912#post1309912

Speaking of aleph p thought, I still didn't want to post it till it wasn't completely finished and extensivetly tested.....but i can't resist to show you guys my board.....here it is.......

(I will attach a couple of pics of one channell of the Aleph P 1.7 .......obviously not all the components are on it... :) )

Attachments

• aleph p1-7 002-resized-.jpg
    aleph p1-7 002-resized-.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,031
I need some help with my Aleph 1.7 preamp

Hello
I would like to ask for help with my Aleph 1.7 preamp .
There are 4 switch were the signal enter I don't know what to do with them .
I want to use the amplifier in a balanced mode , balanced in , balanced out .
No SE at all .
Would you please someone inform me which switch have to be on or of out of the 4.
I purchased my PC board from Kristijan from Croatia .
I afraid to power up the preamp until I don't know what is the purpose those 4 switches .
My email address mathelaszlo2@yahoo.ca
May be the service manual has some comment on these topic or please someone just explain it to me .
We also can see those switches on the schematic .
Thanks for the help .
Greetings

Hi Gaborbela,

nothing to be afraid of if parts are accurately mounted just test power supply first and then power the main board up without too much pain.

The 4 switches you see at the input are used to set the gain of the preamplifier nothing else.

You have the main active gain control which is represented by the 2K variable resistor
You also have the output volume control to passively adjust the output level
In order to maximize noise performance just keep in mind that you should set the active gain as high as possible (reasonably) to be able to work with the few first steps of the output attenuator and also accomplish a lower output impedance.

For SE configuration you short the -out and -in to GND.
Conversely for Balance configuration just properly hook a canon connector and there you go!

That's all folks.

Have fun with your project.

you can do both ways, but the best is to adjust the volume at the output.
That would lower the noise of your system.

If you do choose this way, i suggest you to find a suitable value for the main gain (the 2K trim pot) and replace it with an equivalent good metal film resistor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.