Jfet BOZ

Firts some pics of the baby. Tests results follow soon.
:cool:
Manu

Attachments

• bozjfet_3w.jpg
    bozjfet_3w.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 4,266
Thank you Vix.
Well, it is yet too early to compare...
My setup follows nelsons Schematic, only differing in the rail voltage which is 20V.
As far as I can judge right now the overall sound characteristic is a very detailed and very fine one. It has a somewhat "live" and a very transparent character. :)
So far.
But I think there is something wrong in my setup. I have to turn the input pots nearly all the way down, otherwise the sound is too much distorted. Unfortunately the bad pots I used don't give enough margin to realy find a good configuration. And of course I have to turn the volume at the output all the way up.
So there are some adjustment to do..:D

But from what I have heard till now I'am shure, it is very very promising :)
Manu

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pass 2SK170 BOZ

steenoe said:
Oh, the J-fet frontend for Zen V4, for a moment I thought......:bigeyes:

Steen:)

A three-day refreshment walking here and there was much helpful in retreatment of my tired body and head. Yeah . . . I was thinking about Zen V4.

Many nice diy audio pictures . . . Err . . . I post my picture even if this is not an audio. Yesterday I took this in Gulangyu Island, Xiamen, where after the Opium War in 1814, 13 countries including GB, France, Japan established consulates, churches and hospitals. My look in the picture is much better than the real shape ^^.

:darkside:

Attachments

• gulangyu island.jpg
    gulangyu island.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 3,445
Manu said:
Firts some pics of the baby. Tests results follow soon.
:cool:
Manu

Good job, Manu. Nice little board:)
Multiturn trimmers will assist in an easier adjustment. You can pretty easily go past the sweet spot with a singleturn pot.

My look in the picture is much better than the real shape ^^.
Nice shot JH:) You look pretty good and healthy on that pic:cool:

Steen:)

Zen Mod said:
slightly increase source resistors
decrease PSU voltage

after some tweaking,you'll bang on topology limits ;
if you can find your source characteristics and output amp sensitivity in with topology layed boundaries .......fine ;
if not...... nice xperiment ,useful as stage somewhere.
Originally posted by Steenoe
Good job, Manu. Nice little board
Multiturn trimmers will assist in an easier adjustment. You can pretty easily go past the sweet spot with a singleturn pot. [/B]
:)
Thank You for the hints. I will try them all and report.
But for now I have to go to work...:bawling:
Manu

PS : Maybe it was not clear from my post yesterday, so I wanted to point out again that in spite of all this little opportunities (problems) I found the sound having a special magic: the Germans would say "quicklebendig" and the French would say "limpide".

Many Thanks for all Mr. Pass

Hi,
this thread gave me an idea to make a simple preamp for OPA549 (sounds very good in inverting topology with a gain of 6 dB - 2x). One JFET alone couldn't do it so I used a BJT to help. Output from my DAC (AK4393) is 2.4 AC V peak and this preamp gives on output 12.5 AC V peak which is enough to drive the OPA549.
First, I simulated the circuit in Circuit Maker 2000 with parts that I had in drawer, and fortunately, the real circuit measured roughly the same.
BF245C is a bit different from 2SK170, but that's what I have at hand.
I tried BC560C and BC639 for Q5, but ZTX550 is the best in this place (needs a heatsink). In the next couple of days I'll try to find a BD139 or something similar to try it.
Sound is great, still neutral but gives more space and instruments' localisation compared to AD823 and AD797 which I used before.
I used IRF610 as power supply voltage regulator as I have them in drawer, otherwise LM317 or something similar can be used.

Here is the schematic and picture of v.1 perfboard prototype:

Attachments

• jfetkiss.jpg
    jfetkiss.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 4,042
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pass 2SK170 BOZ

Hi,

Manu, what amplifier did you connect Jfet BOZ to? Maybe the reason for distortion is the high sensitivity of the amplifeir,and it simply gets too much...
I am planning to modify (again) my 'F2 lite' into OTA ( a follower with zero voltage gain). Even though F2 lite is a nice amp, I have converted Zen v9 into transconductance amp, so I don need two transconductance amps.... (yes I know, there's always a possibility to send one to Choky for proper disposal, but it's too heavy :clown: )

Babowana said:
My look in the picture is much better than the real shape ^^.
:darkside:

Heheheh....Some people look better on photos than real life, and vice versa....

I guess that a nice background has an effect, too. Really nice (the background) :devilr:

:D

Regards,

Vix

mpmarino said:

I have an idea - you can just build it for me. Just make it light so shipping doesn't cost YOU too much.

:devilr:

ya know that I patented sentence about "safe disposal"..........
copycat?

:clown:

:devilr: :devilr: :devilr:

Manu, thanks for 'paving the way' - looks great!

Babowana, very nice to meet you.

Choky, just looking for a 'little' rise out of you - cause you make me chuckle. No copycat;)

Zen Mod said:

if you can find your source characteristics and output amp sensitivity in with topology layed boundaries .......fine ;
if not...... nice xperiment ,useful as stage somewhere.

The tech specs of my SA7001 SACD says the output level is 2,3V RMS, and for the Amp, its an Aleph 5 (40V 2,1 bias - pretty hot this days, so if you have some saussages (or cevapi) left.... c:) )
Thx for your hints. Should I let the drain res at 2K2 if I reduce the Source res to may be 6R?
Manu

mpmarino :
thx

twitchie:
Glad to hear you found at least your missimg 1M resistors. :;) There is always something one doesn't have in Stock - I have to order some good 25K pots, mine are definitively sh.... no idea why and when I did buy them.
:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manu said:

.........................Should I let the drain res at 2K2 if I reduce the Source res to may be 6R?
Manu

Zen Mod said:
slightly increase source resistors
decrease PSU voltage

hehe

seems that hot weather is cause of confusion..........

anyway.......better than me- I'm confused all the time...... ;)

again........increase them,to increase local degeneration - feedback- so stage clipp later