Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Jfet BOZ
Jfet BOZ
Jfet BOZ Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2019, 12:34 PM   #1451
ralf is offline ralf  Germany
diyAudio Member

thanks,

when i calculate on the suggested site, 1uF should be enough.
Why suggests Pass 10uf on the output?
Old 9th November 2019, 02:02 PM   #1452
Rodeodave is offline Rodeodave  Austria
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

Jfet BOZ
For one, it's a very common value cap.

Also, you want to make a versatile preamp with good bandwidth into demanding loads. Generally, you'll want to put your -3dB frequency two octaves below the lowest frequency you want to have unaffected by the highpass formed by the coupling cap and the input impedance of the following stage. f=1/(2*pi*R*C) for 10uF and 10k gives f=1.6Hz for -3dB. Two octaves above is like 6Hz, which is reasonably far away from 20Hz. A 5k input impedance gives f_-3dB=3.2Hz. Two octaves above that is almost 13Hz, so the performance at 20Hz is theoretically still unaffected by the output cap. 10uF is thus a reasonable choice for an output coupling cap for a wide range of input impedances.

So, in short, 10uF is a common value and pretty much guarantees that the output coupling cap does not harm performance.
Old 9th November 2019, 11:53 PM   #1453
jwicaksana is online now jwicaksana  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Fellas, I’ve read the thread completely from page 1 and now I want to make one.
My JFET is matched 5.87mA Idss. I am planning to use 18V battery power supply. This will drive a class D amplifier with 20k Zin and 20dB voltage gain.

Since I don’t have oscilloscope nor the knowledge to simulate the circuit, please be so kind so share:
- What value for Rdrain? I understand this needs to bias half the voltage at the Drain.
- What value for Rsource? I understand this is the local feedback and sets the gain? I don’t need too much gain, let’s say 1.5-2.5x amplification is okay, anything between a buffer and a standard preamp would suffice.

I want the lowest possible distortion while maintaining the character and the simplicity of the circuit. It has been described as lively-sounding which really piqued my interest. I’m not set on the power voltage, but pretty much stuck with the JFET.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated.
Old 10th November 2019, 08:19 AM   #1454
diyAudio Member

if i use standard JFET BOZ, to connect to one of my class D amps (TPA3116), which has lots of gain, the overall gain is too much and you can hear hissing noise with high sensitive speakers.
in my case i need small additional gain with hiraga monster in active speakers to match with the other amps and speakers.
I used 18Volt batteries to fire it.
Old 10th November 2019, 08:24 AM   #1455
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeodave View Post
For one, it's a very common value cap.

Also, you want to make a versatile preamp with good bandwidth into demanding loads. Generally, you'll want to put your -3dB frequency two octaves below the lowest frequency you want to have unaffected by the highpass formed by the coupling cap and the input impedance of the following stage. f=1/(2*pi*R*C) for 10uF and 10k gives f=1.6Hz for -3dB. Two octaves above is like 6Hz, which is reasonably far away from 20Hz. A 5k input impedance gives f_-3dB=3.2Hz. Two octaves above that is almost 13Hz, so the performance at 20Hz is theoretically still unaffected by the output cap. 10uF is thus a reasonable choice for an output coupling cap for a wide range of input impedances.

So, in short, 10uF is a common value and pretty much guarantees that the output coupling cap does not harm performance.
Thanks, that was the answer i wished to hear

Now i can use my pio 1uF caps and do not need to buy bigger ones.
If forgot to say, that i use them above 200hz for mid/high range amp, so 1uF should be more than enough.
Old 10th November 2019, 05:58 PM   #1456
mjf is offline mjf  Austria
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=jwicaksana;5970448]Fellas, Iíve read the thread completely from page 1 and now I want to make one.
My JFET is matched 5.87mA Idss. I am planning to use 18V battery power supply. This will drive a class D amplifier with 20k Zin and 20dB voltage gain.

what jfet is it? (2sk170gr?).......

do you have a dmultimeter?
Old 10th November 2019, 10:35 PM   #1457
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post

what jfet is it? (2sk170gr?).......

do you have a dmultimeter?
Hi, it’s 2SK117. Yes I do have a multimeter.
Thank you.

Last edited by jwicaksana; 10th November 2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11th November 2019, 12:57 AM   #1458
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3474 View Post
I loaded the data into excel and set it to a 3rd order polynomial for a good estimator. I also made another graph that is fairly easy to read.
You can also punch the equation into a wolframalpha and get an estimate for your specific idss.

y = 0.0152x3 - 0.4738x2 + 6.1317x - 10.22

Below is my estimate for idss = 9.3 (just replace the "9.3" with your idss)
y = 0.0152(9.3)^3 - 0.4738(9.3)^2 + 6.1317(9.3) - 10.22 - Wolfram|Alpha

Idssvsvoltage.jpg - Google Drive

Thanks to all for the data and hope this helps another DIY'er! and as always critique welcome!
With this formula, Idss of 5.88 shows power supply voltage = 12.5V
Does that sound about right?
Old 30th November 2019, 08:14 AM   #1459
diyAudio Member

Default JFET BOZ gain inceaseable too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
you'll find your sweet spot
Hi,
am i right, that i can increase gain with using lower values for source and higher values for drain
say 5 Ohm for source and 2k7 for drain
Resaon is, that with F5 overall gain is litte too small, in comparison to Hiraga amps

best
Old 30th November 2019, 08:23 AM   #1460
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Jfet BOZ
yup

thread lightly ..... and it'll be fun to learn

Jfet BOZHide this!Advertise here!