inductors for Aleph X PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to everybody!

I have made some researches on the forum on this subject.

As far as i read, aircore inductors have better performance 'cause their resistence and inductance value don't vary along the current delivered.
They don't saturate 'case they don't have any core....but they can melt down if the current that passes through is too high.

Vice versa, the iron core inductor is smaller than the aircore and could have lower dc resistance (if i'm not wrong).

Eather way, i'm for the simple things :) , and so i am more inclined to go for air inductors as Solen sold on part connection.

I would be interested on a couple 6.8mH 12AWG.

I will bias the amp at around 15A (i found amazing heatsink) and so the current that will pass through, as i stated above, will be around 15A.

I would like to know if a coil like that would constituite for you guys a good choice for this purpose.

Is there out on the market a good quality inductor that someone would feel to suggest me different from solen?

Thanks a lot,
Stefano.

Stefanoo said:
Thanks.

Where can i get those parts?
I have seen that thlaudio (in china) has everything and i don't know...it sounds like the prices are much more effortable than in other places.

Has anybody ever purchased from this store?

I buy Mundorf always by my local supplier de Audiofabriek (www.deaudiofabriek.nl). You have to mail them (english will do) to verify if they deliver to you. Price for the 2mm version is 47.50 euro a piece. The website does not list the 6.8 mH 2.5 mm version. The L250 10 mH is 80 euro a piece...

At the website of Mundorf they have a list with distributers: http://www.mundorf.com/handelliste/index.htm

I cannot find the prices at thl for those mundorf parts.

Stefanoo said:
Thanks.

Where can i get those parts?
I have seen that thlaudio (in china) has everything and i don't know...it sounds like the prices are much more effortable than in other places.

Has anybody ever purchased from this store?

Yep, several times. The company was always reliable and orders are handled very professionally by Mr. Chang. Never had a single problem with them. They have a lot of nice chassis, cases and components. Not to forget: J-fets:radar:

Steen:)

GRollins said:
Of all the electronic parts, inductors are the easiest to make. Roll your own. It's cheaper and you can make them as large as you like.

Grey

steenoe said:

Yep, several times. The company was always reliable and orders are handled very professionally by Mr. Chang. Never had a single problem with them. They have a lot of nice chassis, cases and components. Not to forget: J-fets:radar:

Steen:)

Steen thanks for the feedback that you gave me about thlaudio.

The only thing that i don't like of them is that you have to inquire the price by fax and they are not available directly on the website....ready to be compared :)

I have the request form, but i don't have a fax at home so i can't send and then receive it back.

:whazzat: :cool:

I ' ll try to send the form by email....

Well never tried to make one i guess that you need at least a little machine that rolls the wire around...otherwise the shape of the core will be like......who knows :)

I can attempt to make one by myself.....

BTW where can i find good copper or litz wire for a good price?

I was thinking of using one (well, actually 4) of these.

Would this work OK? It is 1000VA.....

JJ

Attachments

• image20002 small.jpg
    image20002 small.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 633
WW-

Very cool amp! how many amps are passing through those coils to get them that hot?

Choky-I checked out Apex Jr--they have some good stuff, but I didn't see any chokes.

anyway, I already have 4 of these (cost me the same as Homer Simpson paid for cable....) and I don't know what else to do with them.

It would be good to know how much DC (if any???) you could run through an autoformer for use as a choke.

Besides, they look really cool when you turn them upside down, it appeals to my sense of order to see such neat winding.

Attachments

• 2007_0621image20004 (4).jpg
    2007_0621image20004 (4).jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 545
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.