Nichicon LQ 12000 mcF vs Panasonic 22000 mcF caps for Aleph 30?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which caps would you use for the /Grey Rollins/Brian Bell PCB Aleph 3 or 30 amp project?

Nichicon LQ 12000 mcF 50V from ApexJr
Panasonic 22000 mcF 50V from Digikey (Digikey# P6946-ND)

I may eventually want to go to an Aleph 5 setup but may do that project separately after I am more comfortable doing the Aleph 30. I do have a second set of PCBs for that.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Wow! The man himself answers!

I certainly appreciate the man himself answering my question! The fact that he also encourages the DIY community with PassDIY.com and in many ways encourages the denizens of this community even when they are copying his commercial designs (admittedly for non-commercial purposes) is great, and is deeply appreciated. Other manufacturers may have resorted to legal threats instead.

Actually the values of the caps I am considering is different. The Nichicon's are only 12000 mcF and as best as I can understand would be enough for the Aleph 30 in stereo (or dual mono Aleph 5) but not for a stereo implementation of the Aleph 5. They are however cheaper and are available immediately (I already have enough having ordered them for my Gainclone), while the Panasonic caps are backordered at least at Digikey. Will probably do an initial Aleph 30 setup with the Nichicons and a Plitron 300VA 22Vx2. I don't believe the Plitron has enough oomph for an Aleph 5 setup anyway, and may even be stretched somewhat by the Aleph 30.

Any advantage to doing the Aleph 3 setup as opposed to the Aleph 30?

What do people think of the Nichicon 12000 mcF 50V caps as opposed to waiting of the Panasonic 22000 caps from Digikey or seeking them elsewhere?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Hany.:)

...sorry....one stupid question:

i just tread this morning on a post, that was talking about replacements for IRFD9110, that somebody was saying that the 9610 was its replacement.
Nevetheless there are differens distorsion in the 9110 is a bit lower than with the 9610.

So here the question....would it be...in general....better...assuming that i have a lot of this 9110.....to use this intead 9610 in preamplifier and power amp...or there are limitation on its use?

Cheers

Nelson Pass said:
For the same amount of capacitance total, I don't expect
a substantial difference.

:cool:

speaking of power supply capacitors....what would be a good sounding capacitor for this stage? ...mundorf...jensen....rifa...back gate..... and so on?
What do you think accordingly with your experience and personal tastes is a good deal in this sense?

Stefanoo said:
...sorry....one stupid question:

i just tread this morning on a post, that was talking about replacements for IRFD9110, that somebody was saying that the 9610 was its replacement.
Nevetheless there are differens distorsion in the 9110 is a bit lower than with the 9610.

So here the question....would it be...in general....better...assuming that i have a lot of this 9110.....to use this intead 9610 in preamplifier and power amp...or there are limitation on its use?

Cheers

I don't know what Vishay's plans might be, but the last time I looked the IRFD9110 was still in production. The IRF9610 is not a replacement for the IRFD9110. They have different specs. If you need a lower voltage/lower wattage part, the IRFD9110 may be the ticket. If you need more, then shift over to the IRF9610.

Grey

GRollins said:

I don't know what Vishay's plans might be, but the last time I looked the IRFD9110 was still in production. The IRF9610 is not a replacement for the IRFD9110. They have different specs. If you need a lower voltage/lower wattage part, the IRFD9110 may be the ticket. If you need more, then shift over to the IRF9610.

Grey

here 's the thread where i was refferring to:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4357&highlight=

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.