Red or Green Wima

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
WIMA FKP2 (foil polypropylene) are green, range 100pF - 2,2nF and voltage 63V and 100V,Also tolerance 5%, 2,5%, 1%.

FKP1, red, same values as above but voltage range up to 1000V.

WIMA MKS 02, MKS 2, MKS04, MKS4 (metallized polyester) are red, different dimensions and range between 100nF - 10uF . MKS4 voltage 100V - 1000V.

MKP4 and MKP10 (metallized polypropylene) value range 100n - 10uF and voltage 160V - 1000V.

There are also some other general purpose types like : FKS, FKC with red, yellow, green colours.

That's what I have used so far. Generally it is difficult to find all the ranges and types in one distributor, some types is almost impossible to find them. So far I have not achieved it.

Regards
Spiros

My favourite distributor carries the green ones, but only with 10% tolerance unfortunately:

http://www.distrelec.com/ishopWebFr...and/node/is/acabaaacadac/and/series/is/1.html

I don't dare to ask how much they will cost with 2.5 % tolerance since the 10 % ones are already quite expensive.

They seem to be quite good however. They have a low-inductance foil-construction and low dielectric absorbtion:

http://www.distrelec.com/ishopWebFr...and/node/is/acabaaacadac/and/series/is/1.html

Regards

Charles

Well, if you had followed the link I gave and checked the data for each and every type of box-style capacitor from 2.5mm to 7.5mm, as I did, you would see that they are now all red.

The ones you guys have or can find must be old stock, or maybe the red ones are all they export to the US?

However, if you look here you will find green ones :)

Newest wima production lines are all red casing, so you can tell the difference between series by the combinations of colors used for values marking, PCM value/distance and epoxy seal on the bottom, so if we take their line for "audio equipment", that`s FKP02 (2,5mm PCM), FKP2 (5mm PCM), FKP3 (7,5mm-15mm PCM)..
So we`re getting
FKP02 Colour: Red. Marking: Black. Epoxy resin seal: Yellow. PCM 2,5mm. (Polypropylene (PP) Film and Foil Capacitors)
FKP2 Colour: Red. Marking: Black. Epoxy resin seal: Yellow. PCM 5mm. (Polypropylene (PP) Film and Foil Capacitors)
FKP3 Colour: Red. Marking: Black. Epoxy resin seal: Yellow. PCM 7,5mm-15mm. (Polypropylene (PP) Film and Foil Capacitors)
There`s also other series for using for coupling and decoupling "and not for audio" :) like MKP2 (5mm PCM) or MKP4 (7,5mm-15mm PCM), that lots of DIYers suggest, they are:
MKP2 Colour: Red. Marking: Black. Epoxy resin seal: Red. PCM 5mm. (Metallized Polypropylene Capacitors)
MKP4 Colour: Red. Marking: Black. Epoxy resin seal: Red. PCM 7,5mm-52,5mm. (Metallized Capacitors)
So i think we getting the pattern, and in comparison with "not for audio" line like MKS2 which is:
MKS2 Colour: Red. Marking: Silver/White. Epoxy resin seal: Red. PCM 5mm. (Metallized Polyester (PET) Capacitors)
So bottom line, maybe you guys with green ones should check markings and epoxy seal colors to resolve which series you`ve got
:D
Maybe we could make S/Q test of each series, that should be useful :)

Have a look at this thread as they are not all good.
This one has split open while laying NOS in a drawer for a few years.
You will need a free registration to the web site to see the thread though.
• Login

Attachments

• DSCF5270E.jpg
    DSCF5270E.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 416
Yes it is not as old as 30 years perhaps 20 years.
We were discussing line filter failures when I dug it out for a photo shoot.
We found that some line filters were failing after about 10 years old with capacitors of various makes using the same resin encapsulation as this one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.