Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Future audio challenges
Future audio challenges
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2007, 08:51 AM   #1
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Future audio challenges

EDN published a quite interesting article on the challenges for system designers to test combined digital - analog systems.
What is interesting is that they tend to rely on a combination of measurements and listening tests.

The main article is here:

http://www.edn.com/contents/images/6418209.pdf

and a side-bar "Can you even measure that?" here:

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6418209...easure%20that?

Excerpt:

Morten Lave, chief executive officer of TC Applied Technologies, offers the following example: A listening test compared the audio quality of a CD player, amplifier, and speaker combination using an analog-through-RCA-plug interconnection scheme and an S/PDIF (Sony/Philips-digital-interface)-through-optical-fiber scheme. Listeners reported that the analog connection produced better sound. The report on the test concluded that this finding was yet another proof of the superiority of good old analog over digital. Lave initially ignored the result.

But looking further, he found that the investigators had conducted a blind test in which the listeners didn’t know which system they were hearing on which passages, and the results were consistent. So, engineers dug further and found that measurable differences existed between the rise and fall times of the optical transducers in the S/PDIF optical link. This difference caused data-dependent jitter, which, on the other side of the DAC, had an audible component. “I believe in blind tests,” Lave says, “but not always in the explanations.”

Jan Didden
Old 9th March 2007, 02:41 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

Future audio challenges
Quote:
“I believe in blind tests,” Lave says, “but not always in the explanations.”
That's my quote of the year. I will certainly use it in my diy2007 presentation.
Old 9th March 2007, 04:14 PM   #3
DSP_Geek is offline DSP_Geek  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY

That's my quote of the year. I will certainly use it in my diy2007 presentation.
Speaking of which, when is that?
Old 9th March 2007, 04:49 PM   #4
On Hiatus

Future audio challenges
http://uk.diyaudio.com/festival07/
Old 9th March 2007, 07:00 PM   #5
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

This should debunk the "consumers have no taste" myth once and for all.

The part about portable mp3 players contra old portable cassette tape and CD players was interesting. I haven't read it all yet.

I have a few mp3 on my hdd. As I have posted elsewhere, I think there's less difference between mp3 and CD than there is between my PlayStation and my relatively highly regarded Pioneer DVD player. I'm not sure I could even tell mp3 from CD. And that's when I use the integrated cheapo DAC on the motherboard! I have some excessively compressed mp3s (64kHz?) and they do sound bad. But those aren't relevant.
Old 9th March 2007, 07:16 PM   #6
DSP_Geek is offline DSP_Geek  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
http://uk.diyaudio.com/festival07/
Sounds wonderful. Only problem is, shipping rates for 350 lb speakers are nontrivial, so my prototypes won't be making the scene. Pity.
Old 9th March 2007, 07:39 PM   #7
On Hiatus

Future audio challenges
Checked luggage?

Future audio challengesHide this!Advertise here!