Cisco power supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a spare Cisco power supply from a Cat 6000 switch, which is rated at 1000W, 48VDC output. Is the transformer from this unit likely to yield something useful for a chipamp (briangt) project? I haven't yet pulled it apart, as it still has some value. Or is 48VDC too much to deal with? I assume it is regulated, so the transformer output will be higher than this.

I'll try to check the secondaries and see what they actually put out.

On a similar vein, are UPS transformers any good for anything? All the small ones under 1000VA seem to be 12V only.

Re: cat6000

zlast said:
These are switching power supplies...no transformer to pull out..and for what a 6000 power supply costs...you could just sell it and buy an amplifier...:)

Thanks. So is it safe to assume that all of this stuff uses switching PS these days? From the size of the Cisco, I thought maybe it wasn't. It's only the 1000W unit, so it doesn't have much value these days... we upgraded to 1800W supplies.

Are the UPS units also switch based? An APC 500VA UPS has a decent sized transformer, but I assume only 12-15V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.