3 pin cell phone battery question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some cell phone batteries I plan on using with headphone amplifiers. These have 2 positive contacts, one goes straight to the battery and the other one is the output from the small circuit board.

My question is which one is for charging and which one if for the output?

I've searched the net for almost an hour now and can't seem to find any info.

Unless you know what you are doing and know that you aren't going to do anything that creates an unsafe situation I wouldn't recommend bypassing the monitoring circuitry.

One three pin cell phone batteries you generally have ground, the positive battery voltage, and the 3rd is either some sort of serial communication, or more likely a thermistor connected to ground that is used for identification and as a temperature monitor.

If those are Li-ion batteries, then DO NOT bypass the safety cutoff circuit! If discharged too far Li-ions can go into destructive self-discharge.

Have you considered after-market Ipod replacement batteries? They're way cheaper that cell phone batteries, and they have a nice wire with a plug on the end, instead of flat contacts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.