Bulk Interconnect Cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Has anyone used the DH Labs BL1 or Pro Studio Bulk Cable?

How do you like it compared to other cables?

I'm currently using the Mogami 2534. the BL1 or Pro Studio
is 4 to 10 times the price of the Mogami. Would I really hear a difference with the higher priced cable? both of are twisted pair type.

Curious as to what DIY cables and interconnects people are using here.

thanks!

Make your own!

In my experience, cables are an area where the law of greatly diminishing returns is alive and well. YMMV.
I have tried the BL1's, and cannot say they sound better than my DIY cat5 IC's. Slightly different tonal balance, but not fantastically better. I'm now using the BL1's with the TV where they do sound much better (because of the shielding, I assume) to the cheapo unshielded ones I was using before.

For music, I'm currently making this silver/cotton design .

There are plenty of other DIY designs out there, and interconnects is one area where it is very easy to experiment cheaply.

thanks for your reply. so far, I've made my own using mogami 2534 and dayton locking rca's. I've also tried the canare cable and crimp connectors.

I'm curious as to how much is considered high end to the point of diminishing returns as you have mentioned. I have been reading about the DH labs BL-1, Pro Studio, home grown silver lace,etc...

Even for DIY, a pair of interconnects could easily add up to $100(US). From some cable reviews, even $200+ dollar cables are considered on the budget end.

I've just read lots of info on cable asylum. I guess it comes down to what one is willing to spend.

let me know how it goes with the silver interconnects, if you like them better than copper. VERY NICE Speakers by the way! :)

Bengali said:
I'm curious as to how much is considered high end to the point of diminishing returns as you have mentioned. I have been reading about the DH labs BL-1, Pro Studio, home grown silver lace,etc...

I'm fairly new to diy audio, so I'm not the best person to answer that.
But what I can gather so far is that simple DIY designs can yield improvements on cheapo cables usually bundled with midisystems. For me, the difference is not as dramatic as the audiophile marketing bods would like us to believe -- and different blends of recommended DIY cables I've experimented with, such as many of the recipes on the cable asylum, seem to act like subtle tone controls while all sharing the improved clarity over cheapo stuff. Most of these designs are promoted as being equal to the boutique stuff.
Having said that, I've never owned $XXX or $XXXX interconnects, and probably never will. I just don;t want to pay for an advertising budget, a fancy box and jewelery.

I've also found more interesting improvements can be made relatively cheaply by experimenting with different power supplies, resistors and capacitors -- and even chassis layout and grounding. Also thanks to diyaudio, I've learned about system synergy -- that a system is a sum of its components. No cable is going to 'fix' poor components.

So for cables, I've decided to just keep them as short and simple as possible, and stop fussing. When I need an extra set, I try another design just for a change.

Bengali said:
Even for DIY, a pair of interconnects could easily add up to $100(US). From some cable reviews, even $200+ dollar cables are considered on the budget end. I've just read lots of info on cable asylum. I guess it comes down to what one is willing to spend.

The design I linked to should be cheap -- use silver wire, a cotton bootlace and plumbers tape. Otherwise there are designs using Cat5, or Belden 89259 coax which is also cheap.
I personally take cable reviews with a pinch of salt.

Originally posted by Bengali VERY NICE Speakers by the way! :) [/B]

Indeed, though sadly they are not mine -- the site I linked to is pburke's -- and I spotted his IC guide while working through his excellent DAC entries.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.