Upgrade for NE5532

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my experience best choice for active crossovers
are discrete buffers like the Calvin Buffer or a Diamond Buffer.
To my ears these sound miles ahead to any Opamp wired for unity gain. I can post some schematics and or eagle files in case someone is interested.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
TI/Burr Brown's OPA2604 is a good alternative as well. It has a strong output stage as well as JFET inputs. Because of (at least) the input stage differences (JFET vs. bipolar in the NE5532) there may some perceivable performance differences. How noticeable these differences are and whether the differences are good or bad depends on your specific application (RIAA equalizer, line driver, tone control, post DAC filter, etc.).

It features low distortion and low noise. It is also more forgiving of less than optimal rail decoupling, unlike some of the video speed devices that folks like to use these days. :)

However, the bottom line is it's safe to drop in and see what you think. So do it and have fun.

Michael
I keep two OPA604 for more than ten years now as spares and i thought about using it as phono supplied at +_22v but lots of negative feedback about it by D Self and Jung kept me aside...I wanted to hear a subjective opinion on it.What do you think about it yused in a simple NFB riaa topology?

It has been a couple more years, so digging up this thread.
For a drop in replacement, ( in this case a crossover) unity gain, no excessive drive problems, is the OPA2134 still the go-to? They sure ain't cheap but no SMT to DIP headers etc.

Well aware 99% of all my CDs went through dozens of 5532's, or worse. Most probably not even biased into class A.
See Post #259 and subsequent posts.
Drop in replacement for NE5532?

Looks like not much has changed. Nothing really new. Some cool new stuff for instrumentation and specifically made to feed a DAC chip, but for a generic drop in dual 8 pin DIP, the 4562 seems to be a fair bet. So, in 40 years, 741 to TLO72 to NE5532, to 4562. Probably reached the "good enough" range.

I did find this as something new. ( to me)
https://www.ti.com/lit/an/sboa356/s...00496&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

OPA1656 looks nice, but smt. Not a drop in. Requires a header. I don't do well with smt.

I kind of have to chuckle at some of the expensive" comments. My new JDS tone control has a $.49 OP-Amp and it does not seem to add any sound of it's own. ( 49 cents, plus $11 shipping for one of course) We are talking about a chip that is better than a $1000 discrete buffer stage of years passed. 50 cents or 5 bucks, Cheap. Now I grant you, price is not an indictor if it is the best choice. Source impedance, inverted or not, rail voltage, ad nauseum specs.

My XKitz crossovers have the 1654 quad in them. Can't measure the noise or distortion as it is well below my capability. They make no sound as far as I can tell, which is what an amplifier is supposed to do. Gives me a benchmark.

My tone control has a NJM4556AV, which is not that great on paper. Might be a worthwhile simple swap. I did get two little headphones boards to practice on. They have OPA2604s SOIC in them. I succeeded in soldering one pair, but have not tried removing and replacing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.