Best place to order components?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I was going to order all my things for a simple little stereo mic preamp on Futurlec but remembered before I went to bed last night I wanted to check some reviews on the company -- and I'm glad I did, apparently 95% of people wait more then a month for their package and often it's incomplete.

Are there any circuit board component warehouses online that ship in a reasonable amount of time?

All I'm looking for is some 10k ohm resistors, some 3.3uf capacitors, few 9v battery jacks, some stripboard, and some female stereo mini jack's.

Any ideas?

Mouser does seem to have some wonky inventory control issues -- I ordered a couple hundred connectors from them and the product came in dribs and drabs -- the company does carry WIMA caps which is very good -- but these can often be delayed weeks or months.

Digikey and Mouser are my #1 and #2, followed by Allied, Newark and Future -- Digikey was just interviewed in one of the engineering magazines -- they have a remarkable inventory control system, and if you have a problem with a defective part they jump on the case right away.

Don't neglect Jameco as well -- particularly as you are on the West Coast.

The thing with ordering from mouser is that they let you look to see what the inventory is and it's up to you to make out an appropriate list. I order from there all the time and have to keep tabs on what is what, but that's just part of electronics. I had to speed up my last order since they only had a few of what I needed in stock, so I see it as an advantage. If a part is listed as needing a 1000 minimum I just stay away, pretty simple really. You can't have everything and I have learned to use what is available which is reality. Btw, buying a cap that is overvoltage rated is generally ok Prismatic. I do it all the time.

Ditto on Jameco, Digikey, and Mouser! Excellent luck with all of them.

By far I like Jameco the best, but often place orders with Digikey do to broader selection of Mosfets and Dale resisters.

For the items you are looking for Jameco is a good bet, especially since you are in California. UPS ground will deliver in 1-2 days.

-David

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I've had the best experiences from a business and personal perspective from Digikey. As was mentioned already, IF they make a mistake (which is pretty rare and quite amazing considering the amount of business they do) they are very good with fixing it promptly. I like their site's search feature the best as well.

I've usually go to digikey first, and then Mouser. However, I just got my first order from Newark, and boy, do they pack things nicely! I ordered several values of Vishay PTF's, and each one came in it's own little box with two pieces of foam. In addition, the IC's came in the usual static wraps, but each one was in a padded envelope. Digikey's "fishnet" paper packing, although it does the job, is quite ugly in comparison. I may look at Newark more often, especially because I can use those little boxes for mailing PCB's and small parts to people.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.