This P/S rectifier is supposed to have less than half the ripple of other SBDs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is anyone familiar with this fairly new line of Schottky barrier diodes from A&R Lab in Japan? Apparently they are unique and protected by patent. The P-P ripple level is reduced to less than half that of other Schottky diodes.You can see this graphically represented in the oscilloscope outputs at the bottom of the page in the linked PDF file. I am told that everyone in Japan who uses these special diodes to upgrade the power supplies of digital disc players reports the improvement is quite amazing. Preamps also derive significant benefits and power amps too, although the hugest gains seems to be in digital players such as CD/SACD/DVD.

I would just buy some and try them myself, but they are not cheap! It might cost me about $300 just for the parts. The developer says it makes more sense to spend that much money on upgrading the power supply than it does to spend the same amount of money on a more expensive sister unit in the manufacturer's product line. In fact, he says it has been his repeated experience that moderately priced equipment with his upgrade installed becomes very hard if not impossible to distinquish from extremely expensive high end equipment. Of course, that's what one would expect him to say. Thing is, he has a huge string of satisfied customers saying the same thing.

Anyway, I was wondering if it makes sense that halving ripple in the power supply would make a huge improvement in the sound quality of audio equipment.

http://www.geocities.jp/sbd_diode/BC24A45UV2-verUP-.pdf

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Christopher Witmer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.