Mil spec wire?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what kind of wire is it?

i'm not sure what the Mil spec is for but yeah, probably things like tensile strength, dielectric breakdown rating, and heat resistance. all things not particularly important for audio. :p
i would make your wire choice independent of the Mil spec or what not. if it's good, it's good wire, regardless of spec. or it could be crappy wire and Mil spec.

is this stranded silver-plated copper with teflon insulation?

Generally, milspec includes those requirements, especially heat resistance. In the Navy, most data carrying wiring is now required to be teflon or better insulated, including CAT5(plenum). Internal wiring for for electronic equipment is also silver plated. Nice stuff to work with, and have used it on some small audio projects, but I haven't had a chance to compare it sonically.

If this decsribes your situation perhaps you want to consider moving to a different neighborhood.
LOL! So true, Corrosion is very much an issue but unfortunately it is usually from condensation. Because most shipboard equipment is high power we cool the hell out of everything. We also dry the air but moisture gets in and condensate forms on the equipment. The biggest concern is the ability to remain operational in a battle so shock and heat resistance are primary concerns. If you can get it cheap like I can, use it, but don't spend the extra bucks for it unless your sure of the benefit.

there is a huge performance difference. PVC really sucks. don't use it anywhere except perhaps for AC power cords.

i am pretty sure you can get teflon wire cheap if you look in the right place. i got my surplus belden wire, 18 gauge stranded silver plate copper w/white teflon, for about 10 cents a foot or less. i don't remember where, maybe All Electronics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.