Is there a master list or cross refrence of

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
op-amps that can be printed out .Something that shows the amps that are worth pulling and saving for future use from salvaged electronics .
Just as an example I come across one marked LM 741 I could look at the list and know right off what it was and the specs on it and rather it was worth salvage or not .
And , or is there a list of parts that one would find in computers , printers , UPS , scanners , lcd projectors , etc worth pulling to use in diy amp projects .

Memory loss from motorcycle wreck and lack of income from disability is prompting starting over from scratch in this hobby .Thus the above request to start a collection of components to pull from for projects to start with.

Thanks
Tim

Hi tim... the 741 is pretty common and probably not worth recycling. You might look at 'all electronics'... or 'apex'... both places that sell inexpensive surplus stuff. As far as finding a comprehensive list of what's worth what when finding a broken/free piece of equipment... it's a tough one 'cause it'll depend on what you want to build ...and what your time's worth. I know when I find a tube-based piece...I look closely at transformers, what tubes it uses , and make decisions. In solid-state, still, transformers are worth looking at, but op-amps etc. are probably better buying surplus- Others might have suggestions-

I find there are some high voltage electrolytic caps to be had from computer power supplies and monitors. Monitors also sometimes have a reasonable quality MKP of a couple of uF, and some small heatsinks. Generally I only raid these when I have them to throw away (I don't go searching for them). I have no interest in scanners or printers.

Of course, YMMV.

Thanks lndm, I'm not going looking for them either but just had thrust upon me the oportunity to remove parts and such from about 70 or so computers and lots of other various electronics from the local school system in exchange for helping them sort through them before recycling center gets whats left .
I did spot a few printers and scanners that had I believe class 2 transformers rated at 12v 1.5amp DC and atleast 1 rated 24v 5amp DC thought those would be worth saving for maybe a small amp or any other suggestions?

jerishi , hmmmmm whats my time worth .Well time is all I've got my disability prevents me from getting or holding a job so I have all the time in the world you could say . Before my head went through the windshield of a car I actualy knew what I was doing when it came to electronics but drain bammage took most of my memory away so back to the begining.First project was a little gem amp for a guitar which turned out well after I got the local radio station to stop comming through it when turned on.
Now I'm wanting to step up to a 10 or better watt guitar amp just need to find a good set of plans for one that is still fairly simple to build .

Nope , thats the catch . I can only have parts , not complete computers .They don't want them in the publics hands cause of legal reasons , a few years ago they did do that with some of the old comps but almost a year after one comp caught fire and the schools were sued so no more of that they said . Also the computers are linked through serial #s to the district so if they gave 1 away and then the private person disposed of it in a landfill or just dumped it on the side of the road the district would be fined for the act , so they have to send them to a recycler that accepts full responciability for them , each unit is tagged , serial # recorded and transfered to them.

Other than that yes I'd fix most of them and pass them on , computers I can remember how to fix with no problem but these are too far behind state requirments to upgrade and still be worth it , other words by the time the ram and processors and systems were upgraded there wouldnt be much difference between a new dell and the parts to upgrade an outdated unit .Most all these are still on 98 and 98 se and mac os 8 and 9 power macs,1 or 2 lc2s mixed in .I fix all the imacs that are out of warranty for them for free , they just buy the parts I need for them .Their tech guy does the windows computers but wont touch a mac .

Can you keep the power supplies?

I like to have a good stock of these, one is powering 12v to my T-Amp and 5v to my usb dac at the mo. I use the 'sockets' (?) you find on many cpu cooling fans as connectors, saves messing about too much with the psu. Also the psu cases are a handy size, have one housing a voltage regulator I built a while back.

FastEddy thanks for taking the time to post the links .

John , yes I'm taking the power supplys out of several of them , some for the supplys itself , some to pull the caps from probably and yes the cases may be reuseable on other projects .I already have a few from the old macintosh lcs that are fully incased , has the recessed male 120v plug and power switch all built into it and 12v & 5v out at about 1.5 amp . Yes several of the windows comps have the fans attached to the cpu heatsinks with a metal clip that I plan on saving as well.

Keep the ideals and suggestions coming .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.