Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

What solder do you guys use?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2006, 11:03 PM   #1
excetara2 is offline excetara2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What solder do you guys use?

I am just wondering what solder you use. If you use silver added solder, or if you just go for generic 60% tin / 40% lead or 60% lead / 40% tin.
Old 20th July 2006, 05:24 AM   #2
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

63% Lead - 37% Tin... more cooperative.

Old 20th July 2006, 06:28 AM   #3
moray james is offline moray james  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default solder

Wonder Solder Ultra Clear11 excellent to work with sounds very good. Regards Moray James.
Old 20th July 2006, 06:48 AM   #4
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Kester "44" 60Sn40Pb or 63Sn37Pb rosin core. The also make a variant with some silver.
Old 20th July 2006, 06:49 AM   #5
Christer is offline Christer  Sweden
diyAudio Member

First, you want a eutetic solder, ie. a solder where the phase transition between liquid an solid state is practically immediate. For a non-eutetic solder this takes place over a temperature interval and thus takes some time to happen. During this transition phase the joint is very sensitive to vibrations which may cause a cold joint. The ordinary 63SN/37Pb solder is eutetic with an almost immediate transition at 183 deg. C, while the 60Sn/40Pb is not eutetic, having a phase transition starting already at 190 deg C and ending at 183 deg C. There are also some lead free solders that are eutetic. Here is a table of temperatures for some alloys, although most of these seem not intended for electronics:
http://www.lucasmilhaupt.com/htmdocs...s/solders.html

One example of a lead free eutetic alloy for electronics with a reasonably low melting temperature is 96.5Sn/3.8Ag/0.7Cu which melts at 217 deg C.
Old 20th July 2006, 07:28 AM   #6
excetara2 is offline excetara2  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Christer fo the wealth of information. I will look for Eutetic solder. I believe that Wonder solder is Eutetic. I may look into that. Or try to find something else that is Eutetic but a little bit cheaper than the Wonder Solder. Thanks a lot.

-Jeff
Old 20th July 2006, 05:22 PM   #7
maxlorenz is offline maxlorenz  Chile
diyAudio Member

Hi excetara2,
Cardas eutectic sounds good but was a little difficult for me to use. Wonder solder is eutectic and a lot easier to use, sounds good and also smells good (though the best smell is from Welborne labs' solder) ... an addiction to die for...

Regards
M
Old 20th July 2006, 08:29 PM   #8
cpemma is offline cpemma  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Christer
The ordinary 63SN/37Pb solder is eutetic with an almost immediate transition at 183 deg. C, while the 60Sn/40Pb is not eutetic, having a phase transition starting already at 190 deg C and ending at 183 deg C.
All correct (says me with a degree in metallurgy) but the 60%Tin 40% Lead mix isn't too bad for electronics, it's the 60% Lead 40% Tin alloy that should never be used. That has a very wide "mud" range, it's made for plumbing where a joint between two lead pipes (or lead pipe to copper) can be wiped to a neat shape while still a liquid + solid sludge. A near-forgotten art.

Apart from that, the multicore version contains an aggressive flux not suitable for electronics.
Old 20th July 2006, 08:42 PM   #9
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

Eutectic 63/37 for tinned or copper wires, 4% Ag-bearing solder for silver wire or silver terminal strips (e.g., Tek). I've tried to lay in a lifetime supply before the EU bureaucratic nonsense destroys what's left of diy electronics as a hobby.
Old 20th July 2006, 08:52 PM   #10
FastEddy is offline FastEddy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Silver solder all the way ...

any commercially available silver alloy solder ... is better than the best lead based stuff.

What solder do you guys use?Hide this!Advertise here!