Blown power transistor?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Does the hfe you measured fall within the range that it should be?

The fact that you can measure any gain at all indicates that both emitter-base and collector-base junctions are ok at the test currents.

You can check the emitter-base and collector base junction voltages.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
AndrewT said:
Hi, using a second DMM while the transistor is being hFE measured?

Sorry for the vague response. I mean use the diode tester function on your multimeter to check the voltage drops across the pn junctions just as you would any other diode. You should see the usual 0.6-0.7V.

It sounds like your transistor is fine.

Hi Andrew,

The problem with transistor testers is they don't place any appreciable load on the transistor being tested and I've had numerous experiences where a transistor tested fine but would open up under a load.

There is not much information to go on here but I think a few in circuit checks for Vbe and current through what ever the load is might be a bit more of an indicator as to whether or not the transistor is functioning properly.

Mike.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andrew,
I like using the Heathkit IT-18 the most. It gives you gain, C-E leakage and C-B leakage. It's not the most exact, but it's the best I have for service. It catches most defects. It is great at confirming signal transistor matches (match cal point).

To find an intermittent, heat the part up. Often on a defective part the hFE will suddenly drop (part goes open). I've had a couple start conducting beyond what is normal as well.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.