My Transistors, original or copy?

How much profit could there be

in counterfeiting six-cent MPSA56's? It better be a lot, because I spent the last three moths chasing phantom oscillations that were caused by bad MPSA56's. They were marked

CE
MPS
A56

and every single one measures "weird" and causes the amp to act strange. It was just being used as the current limiter on the VAS - literally any good transistor would have worked. Hfe about 400 with a VBE around a quarter of a volt (but they do work as a PNP transistor).

I have fake Toshiba 2sc3423s with laser-etched Toshiba logos, in a package which turns out to be inaccurate(isolated TO-126ML instead of 2-8H1A) - they turned out to be PNP devices with hFE ~= 360. Are they wrongly-marked 2sa1360s, or a small-signal dies like bf423/mpsa92/bc558 packaged into isolated TO-126 packages? Probably the latter, maybe even the same die as the fake MPSA56 above.

I'll try to break one open in due course and take a look.

this makes me believe that it is a fake:
- absence of copper pad
- chip of the same sketch of the "red label" Toshiba

Also for remove the withe silicon :
- 24 hours of soak in (premium) gasoline to soften the glue
- steel brush to remove residues
- washing and cleaning with toothpaste
(the only disadvantage is that they detach him the threads)

Fake or True ? :confused:
every suggestion is very appreciated... :)

bye

Gold_xyz said:
Fake or True ?

Neither!

As it does not claim to be an original OnSemi/Motorola it can't be fake. But it is also not an original, just manufactured by someone else.
It is obviously not the quality of an original, but not necessarily useless.
I don't remember the logo, but being a real manufacturer, he will not produce useless parts.
I believe you can use these parts.

Mike

MikeB said:

Neither!

As it does not claim to be an original OnSemi/Motorola it can't be fake. But it is also not an original, just manufactured by someone else.
It is obviously not the quality of an original, but not necessarily useless.
I don't remember the logo, but being a real manufacturer, he will not produce useless parts.
I believe you can use these parts.

Mike
Ich have understood :D
I imagine that the logo corresponds to a firm
and that this firm publishes the datasheets...
That interests me is the correspondence to electric parameters
I am sure that the silicon works but I have buy this as MJ15015. :violin:

to soon

Gold_xyz said:
but i have buy this as MJ15015

Which it likely is, just not an original.
That yours is Chinese manufacture does not necessarily make it inferior, the slow mode 2n3055 and it's sturdier versions are produced by a whole bunch of semi companies.

Toshiba China likely manufactures semis like these, stuff that Toshiba Japan has no appetite for producing anymore.
The same applies to several higher grade semi numbers which Toshiba licensed to Korean facilities, manufactured there nowadays but not anymore in Japan.

Securing the die and connections with a dab of silicon does not immediately label it a fake, merely a different manufacturing approach.
Had it been labelled a 15003 or a 15024, then it would have been a counterfeit device.

jacco vermeulen said:

Which it likely is, just not an original.
That yours is Chinese manufacture does not necessarily make it inferior, the slow mode 2n3055 and it's sturdier versions are produced by a whole bunch of semi companies.

If I buy a MJ15015 I expect me that the parameters are:
Vceo = 120V Ic=15A Pd=180W hFE=around 40 Ft=around 1MHz as the original Type.
Have You verified this ? :confused:

This is an ISC transistor. I bought some 2n3055 and MJ2955, also isc's.. They don't seem to be very bad at all.... Look, the die of the no-name 3055 is even bigger than the original Motorola one...

Attachments

• transistor chip 2n3055 mj2955.jpg
    transistor chip 2n3055 mj2955.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 983