My Transistors, original or copy?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There are no indications that the IRFP140 is not fake.
Here compared to the IRFP240, a genuine IR part.
As far as I found, International Rectifier exclusively uses the TO-247AC case style.
The IRFP140 is a TO-247 PSI 340L-02.

Front:

Attachments

• mvc-819f.jpg
    mvc-819f.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,243
hello and thank you,

yes that was one of the first pages i came across while reading up on this. He has a lot of great information on that site.

I am still curious as to whether or not Toshiba ever actually made transistors that look exactly like these ones with the shiney surface area, or whether anyone has identified another manufacturer who's packages are being branded as Toshiba.

Was there ever a batch of genuine Toshibas with this shiney area and very clear lettering on the package?

Hi,
my Tosh 1943/5200 have a plain matt surface and the printing is very difficult to read.
Are they laser etched?

The backs of mine look nothing like those pics.
Mine have mickey mouse type ears at the top due to the top line having a depressed edge and the sides have an indent.
The bottom edge is completely straight.

If you have it on a heatsink that exceeds the thermal capacity of the transistor, then there's no reason you can't go towards Icmax in a class A config. If it's gonna die, that'll do it, just bias it up and crank the Vcc up watching the current.

I'm betting they'll go with an Icmax under 1A

I have a couple of MPSA42's here of which I suspect contains fakes. I just finished a project which wouldn't work, which was caused because one of the transistors didn't work. And because the ones I bought today look significantly different than ones I had used before, I suspect they may be fake.

I have four versions:

transistor-001.JPG

transistor-002.JPG

transistor-003.JPG

transistor-004.JPG

The first one is the one I got today (the suspected fake), which has a silver front, which the other three don't have.

Also, the first one is the only one I have which has it's legs bent sideways like that. The datasheet shows an image where they are straight. However, if that would be an indicator, all of the counterparts to this one I have (the MPSA92), would be fake...

I don't understand why the second one is labeled KSP42 BTW, but that's what I got when ordering MPSA42's...

Could I be dealing with a fake one, or multiple fakes, here?

HelemaalGaar,

Couldn't resist, could you :)

the first one is original Philips manufacture, including the grey flavor.
There are at least as many different MPSA manufacturers as fingers on your hand.

I believe I have ruled out mistakes in the circuit, so I hope it was a normal DOA then. The transistors are part of a DC protector in a subwoofer, and I wouldn't want that to fail on me...