Old Stark meter - how to???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All.

Dose anyone out there know anything about the pictured Stark VT-9 multimeter.

I can figure out the AC/DC/R functions well enough - its the alleged capacitance and inductance measurements that have me mystified. :xeye: A web search of Stark VT-9 produces a resounding silence.

Any suggestions from you retired(?) technicians would be very helpful indeed.

Thanks to all

Jess

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I never did find out anything as Stark information is hard to come by.

Good to know that at least one more of these survived :)

Well, I guess if no one has a manual, I will just have to trace the cct and draw it up so that one of the wizards out there can lett us how to use the dratted thing!

Mine works beautifully for AC/DC/R - checked against my DVM it is as accurate as any analog meter I've ever seen. And that huge meter - just georgeous.

As I said before, I want to learn how to make inductance measurements. And, how does one use the db scale(s) on the bottom of the meter face? :scratch:

Cheers

Jess

Hi Chris:

Now, that's why I love this forrum so much - just ask and someone will know the answer :D

Of course, it helps if I have the background to understand the answer :xeye: Could you maybe draw me a simple diagram to show me (I'm a computer nerd, y'know - not much depth in this analog electronics stuff) what you mean by

"assumes you are across a 600 ohm line for dBm"

Is db used to measure relative signal strength? Like, can it be used to measure the gain of a preamp in db?

Jess

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jess,
A diagram won't help much. dB ratings are power measurements and are assumed to be across a 600 ohm load (resistor for example). Changing the load impedance changes the power dissipated in the load.

These days in the audio field we use dBu. It's the same except that we ignore the impedance and refer the measurement to a voltage only. Your old scale was referrenced to 0.775 V across 600 ohms.

This link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibels should help you understand it a little better.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jess,
Is db used to measure relative signal strength? Like, can it be used to measure the gain of a preamp in db?
To answer your question - yes. dB units are a difference between two levels. So if you measure how big the signal out of your preamp, and the input signal level, the gain is the difference between to two numbers. A negative number is attenuation.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jess,
That's odd. It looks a bit like mine ... I bought mine from Crown Assets Disposal as a young fella.

What we need is a site with all kinds of Stark information on it. If you see a working Stark 9-66 (or better) tube tester, get it.

I also have a Stark 10A generator that matches the VTVM. Not working because I modified it before I grew brain cells.

-Chris

From Chris:
What we need is a site with all kinds of Stark information on it.

AMEN, brother!

From Chris:
If you see a working Stark 9-66 (or better) tube tester, get it

Actually, I will garb any tube tester, working or not (but from now on a Stark 9-66 will be on top of my list) :D

Not being a collector (at least not intentionally) of vintage test equipment, I think I will stick with my computer for signal generation. Most of my gear shelf already looks older that I am.

Jess

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jess,
Hickok would be another good tester. You need "dynamic mutual conductance" and these testers perform their tests that way. Stark was made under license from Hickok and can be found as Canadian military surplus. The prices have gotten high these days though.

Emission type testers are not that helpful. These are generally sold higher than they should be, you need to know what you are buying.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.