Best RCA Plugs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ahhhh, the lovely sound of connectors.
This is a joke, right?

Price: $34.50 EA

Attachments

• 093-556m.jpg
    093-556m.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 2,181
Best RCA-plug is no rca-plug at all. Thanks to its brain-free desing rca-plug its probably one of the worst connectors ever seen.

I prefer high-quality BNC. Sure its non-standard in audio equipment but I prefer non-standard good connectors compared to cheap crap standard-design like RCA. With high-quality BNC I mean brand-name products like Amphenol, not some snake-oil lubricated and hand-made in china "hifi" connectors.

Snake Oil?

WBT's Crimping method is the preferred technique because it produces a physically and chemically optimum contact point with low transition resistance, which ensures pure signal transmission. For the procedure itself one must first strip the cable and insert it into the crimp sleeve. Insert the wire and sleeve into the proper slot on the crimper, and squeeze. The crimp and unique crescent shape force the wire to flow together, thus creating the illusion of a single strand of wire. Then trim the sleeve to the desired length to fit the application. Loosen the Torx™ screws on connector inset the cable and tighten down, one screw for the conductor and the other screw for the strain relief. The technique is easy to apply, and easy to fit and re-fit in WBT

1985 was the year Wolfgang B. Thoerner machined his first male RCA type plug from a single piece of metal. Though rough, that connector was a predecessor of what was to become the current WBT-0101. The connector featured a locking mechanism unique enough to be granted an international patent.

Now I'm impressed.

What about the Eichmann Silver Bullet Plugs (set of 4) $90.00
Snake Oil?

This from Welborne Laboratories:

we believe brass RCA plugs act as a bottleneck to electron flow. Brass plugs may also cause phase errors and smearing through mass and skin effect.
Another problem is the return/ground collar - which can impair electron flow through:
"Eddy current" distortion - as electrons proceed to and from the RCA socket into the collar through multiple contact points.
"Capacitive" distortion - where gaps exist between the socket and collar.
"Micro-arcing" distortion - an electrical short that can occur where gaps exist between the socket and collar

Attachments

• eich1.jpg
    eich1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 2,126
acenovelty said:
What about the Eichmann Silver Bullet Plugs (set of 4) $90.00
Snake Oil?

This from Welborne Laboratories:

we believe brass RCA plugs act as a bottleneck to electron flow. Brass plugs may also cause phase errors and smearing through mass and skin effect.
Another problem is the return/ground collar - which can impair electron flow through:
"Eddy current" distortion - as electrons proceed to and from the RCA socket into the collar through multiple contact points.
"Capacitive" distortion - where gaps exist between the socket and collar.
"Micro-arcing" distortion - an electrical short that can occur where gaps exist between the socket and collar

Use these 3 times then toss them away. :) Theya re nice good concept but ue the more than 3 times and they loose there value and the dont stay connected.

Apparently NO limit to what a dedicated Audio Weenie can be sold on.. the Pricier the better, to add insult to injury :bigeyes:
Really want a decent connection?? SOLDER yer Damn wires, Signal AND speaker.. Almost free except for a little Hassle when you feel the iresistable urge to pull everything apart for the newset Gizmo add-on.

The positive conector is a coil of silver wire just like the negative connection. The wire is coiled and held together with silver solder. The coil is then drilled out to the right size which removes all solder from the signal path. The wire then exits out the connector and is used as a hook up wire.
I make the threaded wood parts out of walnut dowel stock. I have also used wood instead of teflon for the "nuts" and they seem to hold tighter.
It's to much work for a comercial product but for my system it is well worth it.

Attachments

• mvc-251s.jpg
    mvc-251s.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,575
I use Neutrik RCAs costing $1. I haven't tried the expensive stuff.

I would be very careful believing the claims. I'm no different from most people on this forum. I too want to believe that the "next thing" gives me that little extra.

Eddy current, for example, is indeed a real phenomenon, but not relevant in plugs and cables. If it was, those highly regarded foil cables should be the single biggest scource of self-inductance in any sound system.

Go ahead and experiment with interconnects. But think twice before you spend $100 on a quad of plugs.

My 2 cents.

phn said:
I use Neutrik RCAs costing $1. I haven't tried the expensive stuff.

I would be very careful believing the claims. I'm no different from most people on this forum. I too want to believe that the "next thing" gives me that little extra.

Eddy current, for example, is indeed a real phenomenon, but not relevant in plugs and cables. If it was, those highly regarded foil cables should be the single biggest scource of self-inductance in any sound system.

Go ahead and experiment with interconnects. But think twice before you spend $100 on a quad of plugs.

My 2 cents.

You are entitled to believe what you like.
It's funny that you should mention credibility.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.