Bronze heatsinks, split from advanced GainClone thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:

What I find depressing, is that soon, along with changing forum logo, the forum motto will be also changed and we will be looking at:

diyAudio
place where fanatics don't post anymore

What I find depresing is that some folks really need to know why, before they actually decide to try something.

Bravo!

:smash:

Dang nabbit! I realized I didn't say it right. The thermal flux does decrease, but the thermal gradient does increase in response to a thermal pulse. Not that anyone actually cares, but I hate leaving my mistakes uncorrected. Less embarrasing than having someone else correct me later!:D

As much as I hate to say it, brass does have a scientifically documented benefit over copper for vibration and resonance control. Lubricity is only one of several reasons whey bronze is a favoured material for large scale industrial bearings.

Cheers, Terry

Peter Daniel said:

What I find depresing is that some folks really need to know why, before they actually decide to try something.

Yes, It's DO-It-Yourself. But different peeps not only will DO things different, also their *approach* to a certain subject is very individual. *Each* of these approaches is valid. Period.

With condemning others for doing analysis and gaining a better understanding, probably carefully sorting out choices before even touching the materials, you, Peter, might leave a very ignorant and narrowminded impression.

That's what I would find depressing, someone telling me how and if to think...

regards

Choices

Upupa Epops said:
Sound of heatsinks ? Do you really mean it seriously ? :D I'm curious, what will be your next " experience " .... Sound of PCB ? Sound of power station ? Sound of maple ? Or what ? ;) I'm wailing....

Yeah, yeah round the sharp corners of the PCB, pour some laquer over it, C37? Teflon sounding better than epoxy or poly iso-cyanate ester? Or better p2p wiring? It is up to you! Life and engineering is about choices you know ;)
BTW I have a can of Maple juice. What should I do with it?
:cool:

WARNING: CONSTRUCTIVE POST!!!!! Some may wish to disregard this post! :D

Quick question for Peter if you are still keeping up with this thread: what brass alloy are you using for the heatsink? Also, what thermal paste or pads are you using? (I think those look like silicon pads, but I wanted to ask.)

I must admit that I am not sold on the "sound of heatsinks," but whether it sounds any different or not, it definitely looks great! So I figured I would try and see for myself how it works/sounds since I have a stash of brass sitting around. :D

Thanks for sharing!

I am wondering if the material is irrelevant but the chip temperature is the factor.

This would/could lead to a different conclusion on 'best' material for every amp/speaker configuration.

I note that many designs (including Peter's) look 'under heatsinked' to my novice eyes. Maybe the secret is keeping the chip at just the right (high) temperature.

with all the holes im sure it works good. and if you look at the pic you can see the front faceplate and back has heatzinc grease so really the hole amp works as a heatzinc. just not the sides;)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 721
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.