Bronze heatsinks, split from advanced GainClone thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jneutron said:

Sorry, I don't have the hang of it yet, I took english as a second language. What's an adjective?? Aren't compound words used to rub out bad words??

Cheers, John

well I was thinking those big, meaningless, open-ended, subject-to-interpretation descriptions used in Stereophile Magazine to justify the ridiculous, expensive, obscene prices.

Heatsink sonics?
Guys, you are crazy.
Didn't mean to offend, just feel moral need, that someone had to tell that.
I keep reading about different pieces of an amplifier sounding like this and that... fuses, cables, enclosures, heatsinks, mica/silicon washers... has any of you experimenters examined the sonics of frequency compensation circuits of any amp? Like go from undercompensated (read: ringing) through so-believed optimum time-constant to overcompensated (read: slew limited) ?

Hmmm......??

Peter Daniel said:

Maybe others don't agree with me on this, but for me the spark that makes this hobby interesting and fun is reaching a deeper understanding of how it all works. Without that, you might as well go to the stereo store and try a bunch of brands of equipment without understanding the distinctions between them. So, I took your comment as saying that you really were just throwing a dart blindfolded and hoping for the best. I don't necessarilly care which material is the best as that's boring. I care why one is the best. This is DIY after all. If you just give me the answer without teaching me anything, then I am not really any better off.

The design is nice, b/t/w/ I wish my own wood/metal working skills were even half of yours.

-d

dsavitsk said:

If you just give me the answer without teaching me anything, then I am not really any better off.

This is wise attitude.
How about answers to questions that you would never ask?

At least I wouldn't. I remember being once told by a world class physicist "The greatest quest is to be able to tell sense from nonsense". Simple words but much meaning. Back to topic I could find some reasons for 0.1K/W heatsink being better than 10k/W and otherwise, but sonics of the heatsink material is nonsense. I am sorry for that. Now I will 5HU+ up as I told everything I wanted.

regards

I don't know, I think I could believe that the temperature stability of the chips could matter, and that different sinking materials could maintain that stabity better than others. I certainly find that warmed up opamps sound better than when they are first switched on. But, I do think that the burden of poof is pretty high here.

dsavitsk said:

Maybe others don't agree with me on this, but for me the spark that makes this hobby interesting and fun is reaching a deeper understanding of how it all works. Without that, you might as well go to the stereo store and try a bunch of brands of equipment without understanding the distinctions between them. So, I took your comment as saying that you really were just throwing a dart blindfolded and hoping for the best. I don't necessarilly care which material is the best as that's boring. I care why one is the best. This is DIY after all. If you just give me the answer without teaching me anything, then I am not really any better off.

I look at that in a different way: I don't need to know how engine works to be able to drive a car, I don't need to know how SACD works in order to enjoy the sound.

For me, the spark that makes this hobby interesting is creativity I find within myself. The creativity that allows me to create devices that are recognized and hold their ground in comparisons with other.

If you took my comment that I "were just throwing a dart blindfolded and hoping for the best" you must be pretty new to this forum and then you shouldn't be commenting in such careless way.

I don't care why the given material sounds the best, most of the folks in the world don't know the answer. What I care about is how it sounds, and to decide about that I already spent 4 years experimenting with different chassis materials, resonanses control, structural design and heat dissipation.

I'm not here to teach you anything. Being the member of that forum you should consider yourself lucky that I care enough to actually show anything. If you don't know how to utilize that information it's not my problem, it can only be yours. I don't need to explain myself in any way.

But putting judgement on people in such careless way certainly does not spark any interest in that hobby.

What I find depressing, is that soon, along with changing forum logo, the forum motto will be also changed and we will be looking at:

diyAudio
place where fanatics don't post anymore

What I find depresing is that some folks really need to know why, before they actually decide to try something.

Peter Daniel said:

What I find depressing, is that soon, together with changing the forum logo, the forum motto will be also changed and we will be looking at:

diyAudio
place where fanatics don't post anymore

What I find depresing is that some folks really need to know why, before they decide to try anything.

Why would you say this ?

Originally posted by jneutron
I should probably limit "april fool" posts to april 1, and not refer to it five days in advance.

Dang John, you took away all my fun. For a second there I thought you were serious, and I had already pulled out my Thermodynamics / Heat Transfer references to provide a technical rebuttal. Got myself all spooled up for a good debate just to have it evaporate before I could join in.:clown:

Cheers, Terry

P.S. Lower thermal diffusivity and lower specific heat values would increase the thermal flux at the heatsink, not decrease it. Just couldn't resist! :devilr:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.