i want to replace my wima caps in my valve amp is there better out there

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
NAP 160 said:
if i replace my wima caps in my valve amp for hovland or any other type of polypropaleane cap's will they improve the sound they are all round my valves . can any one please explain how thses caps work thanks for your time
WIMA and RIFA have very good caps.
WIMA have some different Polypropylene caps,
some are slightly better than another, but will cost more.

If you want a good MKP (metallized PP) cap for Audio.
Use SOLEN SCR axial cap. Reasonable prize /uFxVolt. (money/CV)

(sorry, did not find some pictues of SOLEN Axial Caps)

SOLEN SCR MKP capacitors

Attachments

• a13550_c.jpg
    a13550_c.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 671
Hearsay only.

I havent tried them myself, but have read that FKP type caps. i.e. polypropylene and foil WIMA caps are the way to go if you don't want to go way esoteric and expensive. They are the light blue ones with yellow epoxy fill. They make no claims for audio usage but are a rock solid no-nonsense cap for high frequency, high current and pulse usage. Many other caps used in such a way get all hot and bothered.

Exactly what caps are you using now? If you are already using FKP1's then you are probably about to pass that point in the money vs. results graph that takes a sharp bend for the worse.

GP.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
CAPS

Hi,

Assuming that's Newcastle in the U.K. i can highly recommend the ICEL range of polyprops as used by some major tubeamp manufactures.

I noticed RS Components sells them.

For the more esoteric caps and parts you could check out this US supplier,they have some on sale with a 30% discount:

PCX

Ciao,;)

NAP 160 said:
if i replace my wima caps in my valve amp.....will they improve the sound they are all round my valves .

Not really knowing but my hunch is no. The major constribution in the sound are the tubes and the transformer, I think.

Nelson Pass discussed this in an another thread and I believe his is right.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5107

peranders said:
I have a Electronic Concept cap in my hand! It feels as good as it is. EC makes the best(?) caps in the world. They can be seen in heavy duty switched power supplies.

Check out how much current they withstand!
http://www.eci-capacitors.com/

It's a shame that I don't have the camera here. The legs are 1 mm thick!

Check the data for 5MP12!

In case you plan to use the very high quality tinfoil polypropylene caps (you said Hovland), also consider Audyn tinfoil (AUDYN-KP) or SCR tinfoil. I would personnally stay away from AEON caps(SCR??), they have shown to be not well made in my assays :eek:

Do you have any surplus electronic stores around where you can get some cheap caps to experiment?
Philipp:rolleyes:

why tinfoil

Don´t expect a perfect answer.

Gladly I can give a technical answer.

In the German magazine "Hobby-Hifi" there was a strange test- measuring vibration on the cap. Vibration that was introduced by the forces of the signal, not viceversa.

It sure is doublefolded, mean the other way around it would be interesting and probably the same.

The results were documented and the caps showing the most frequency-linear vibration behaviour were
!! the tinfoil !! and the !!paper in oil!!

reasons must be tinfoil has a much higher inertia an density than usual metal films and so on

Nothing was said about that. Several audiophile caps were measured, clear cut diagrams.

The resonance pattern in those diagrams resembled back then brilliantly impressions I had gathered using the tested caps ,read the way they changed the systems tone...:Popworm: :judge:
:scratch:

You can make up your own thoughts on this
kind regards
Philipp

Attachments

• sample1.jpg
    sample1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 304
why tinfoil- signalintroduced vibration spectra in capacitors

The diagram I have posted above shows a tinfoil type on the left, and a special non-inductive wound cap by the same producer (more expensive, non-inductive winding technique is achieved by winding two capacitors in series in one package, np tinfoil)

The diafram below shows non-poypropylene caps (MKT, which is polyester)

The left one is radial, the right axial(to compare these specific products, mainly)

Attachments

• sample2.jpg
    sample2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 300
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.