DIY Plate Amp --> Need the Plate!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all--

I'm toying around with the idea of making a 41Hz AMP2 kit into a DIY plate amp for a DIY sub. The reason I'm lookng is that I've got a dual 4-Ohm woofer, and finding a commercial plate amp that can drive 2 Ohm loads just isn't happening. And I've read plenty of posts that people think that a DIY plate amp doesn't make sense. But I'm gonna do it, as much as for a learning experience as anything else.

Anyone know of someplace I could get a good plate-amp style heatsink extrusion, or something like it?

Better yet, anybody out there got a busted plate amp (with fins) they want to give me super-cheap?

I drew up something and got a quote from eMachineShop, and that was just for a flat plate!!! It would be cheaper for be to buy a brand-new amp and gut it for its plate. And that don't make sense...

Any help is appreciated...

--Greg

I don't know for sure. The AMP2 (and all the Tripath amps, really) is fairly efficient, but I don't have the exact specs for dissipation in the output FET's at hand. But were talking about a 800-1000VA toroid and PSU, so I figure at least 8x10 in order to have room to mount everything. Maybe as large as 12x12? I don't have any drawings right now, as I'm just in the proof-of-concept stage (i.e. if I can't source the plate affordably, I won't spend much more time pursuing this.)

I'm in Portland, OR area...do you have something to offer?

--Greg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.