need help with getting a digital multimeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys as you can see I'm new here... and also new to the audio dyi thing. as far as i read on the internet i'm thinking i need a digital multimeter. so can anyone help me find the right one? I'm looking for something I can get on ebay, even used because I don't want to end up spending too much... $200 at most i would say... so here's what I need: something that also measures low ohms, capacitance, and frequency and it MUST be able to do accurate AC voltage measurements over the 20hz-20khz range. RMS and a dB readout option would also be nice.
Please guide me towards something that would do all of theese.
Thanks in advance.

thanks for the links and the quck reply... read them up but still quite puzzled... right now it looks like a good choice for my needs would be the Fluke 89 IV... which I can probably get on ebay for less that $200 but from the data sheets I can find on this and my understanding it doesn't measure AC voltage at frequencies lower than 45hz... is this so? What else should I be looking at that would be able to measure AC voltage throughout the whole 20hz to 20khz range?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sure it does, here is 9V, 10Hz.

/Hugo

Attachments

• mvc-457f.jpg
    mvc-457f.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 155
Don't get confused between frequency measurement and voltage measurement.

Most of the Fluke DMMs measure frequency over a wide range, but when they measure RMS voltage or current, the frequency range is much more limited.

The maximum frequency when measuring voltage is usually much lower than when you measure frequency.

You're generally better off with a 'scope for doing that.
Remember that unless you're dealing with pure sine waves, the 'RMS' voltage will be pretty meaningless for most purposes - and even then, you need a 'true RMS' meter for accuracy.
OTOH, if you want to check frequency response, etc., knock up an integrating AC voltmeter from an op-amp and a handful of bits.

Hi,
the spec for the frequency range of voltage reading ability should look just like that for amplifiers. eg. 20Hz to 500Hz +0.5db -3db or something much superior to suit your requirements.

If you arrange to make comparisons of almost identical voltages then the response errors of the DMM can be almost eliminated to quite high frequencies. I use mine upto 200kHz but it's spec is to only 500Hz.
Asumming my sine wave generator is putting out nearly constant voltage as I sweep through the frequency range, I find that a 1990mV signal at 100Hz appears to have fallen to about 160mV when reading a 100kHz signal, but comparison negates that big apparent error.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
The Fluke 89 IV is a very nice meter but I think what you're really after is an AC test set AND a DVM. As has been pointed out, DVMs have their limitations at AC and the true RMS feature is rarely of use in audio. You might like to have a look at the Neutrik Minilyser.

Frequency measuring multimeter

Hi guys,
in this day and age, there is no requirement to spend megabucks on test equipment.

The far East is falling over itself to provide cheap and accurate measuring kit.

This item would probably do the business for the original poster;

http://www.jaycarelectronics.co.uk/...&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=546

A lot less than $200 and certainly seems to meet his requirements.

I've dealt with thios supplier and they are excellent.

HTH,
Sandy

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ad_breaker,
Everything Hugo, EC8010 and AndrewT said.

Fluke makes about the only accurate handheld DMM out there. It is the only one that will hold it's calibration. I know you are not going to send your meter in every (even) two years for calibration.

Buy the Fluke. <- period :D

I worked as a calibration technician, this is a fact. I have some Fluke handhelds.

Sandy,
Sadly, no that meter can not be trusted. Many techs spend good $$ on bench meters. Mine was around $1,500. They can go higher too. There is very good reason to spend money on good test equipment. Think of it as an investment, not unless you only have to check if the mains are present, the fuse is good and the battery has voltage. Then all you need is a couple of test lights and a continuity tester.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.