Digital Multimeter recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
My old cr@ppy DMM just died so I need to get a good new one. Searched through the forums and most people suggest Fluke but some people has problem in high humidity area (which is where I live too).
Fluke is expensive so maybe another better 2nd choice that works with high humidity area? I guess the Fluke will work in high humidity area but some of those who has problems might have leak seal....
I look at Fluke 179 seems to be good but a little expensive. There are other cheaper meters that do more thing (hFE, LC). The Fluke doesn't do inductance.
Should I go with the Fluke or something around $70 range that does everything like this one?
http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/vc9808f.htm

What about other good brands? Extech, TPI, BK, Tenma?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi tempoct,
I second what SY has said. I must say I doubt that other meters would fair as well as a Fluke. They have seals built in. The meter elastomers are cleanable. Not the end of the world.

Regarding inductance. To get an accurate reading you need a bridge or purpose built meter. Just because the function is there does not mean it's accurate. The capacitance function on a Fluke is surprisingly close to the actual value.

The last thing is this. If the meter goes out of calibration, you can't trust it. Therefore it would be worse than broken as it would mislead you. Also, if you apply the tolerance specs to your reading, you will see that you can not depend on all the digits having any meaning. Sometimes the least two significant digits are meaningless. It's worse with other brands.

-Chris

are you absolutely sure you need a handheld device ?

-- yeah, I have a Fluke 177 which I use all the time -- but I also use a pair of HP 3478's and an HP3468, Fluke benchtop devices, B&K, Keithley are all excellent.

if you have the space you can use the Tektronix DM501, DM502 etc. -- these are really excellent if you have the space. Once you get into these TEK 500 series test units you'll never go back (I think Eddie Murphy used that line in "Trading Places").

jack

I really don't have space for the bench :eek:
I wonder that the other brands are that much different than Fluke? I meant, if Fluke a clear cut winner, I probably get it. Who's actually a worthy competitor to Fluke?

I don't mine if the meter doesn't last 10 years. By that time, I probably want the new one with newer features and technology.

Which Tenma under $100 you mentioned?

My first Fluke only lasted 5 years... car was stolen. I have dropped them off ladders, into lake Michigan, had them rained on, baked in the trunk, checked 480VAC on impedence, and they are constantaly left on by mistake. ANd when you really pooch one there is a friendly person on the other end in Washington willing to sell you parts inexpensively.

I think it's the lowest "cost" product in the category if you get my meaning.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi tempoct,
You can calibrate the meter if you have Fluke's software and a 5520 calibrator. I'm sure others will work.

These meters are calibrated "closed case" these days. The HF cal was dependant on the shield position. Very sensitive. I had made adjustment jigs using old cases for the 23 ~ 87 series.

Buy it calibrated. Chances are it will stay in tolerance for many years. Out of the box they are normally well within tolerance too.

The B&K isn't even close. Good for a utility meter. You may have a 4:1 TUR with the Fluke over the B&K! :cool: Meaning you could use the Fluke as a standard. I'd have to check the specs on both, but why bother.

Buy the Fluke.

-Chris

tempoct said:

BTW, does the Fluke really have much more bandwidth?

I got the Fluke just for that reason. When I compared to my old meter I couldn't beleive. My old meter was droping after 2 KHZ !!! Reading at 10 KHZ was 4 to 5 time off.
I was comparing my reading on the osciloscope to my old meter and I realised that something was off. Than I got Fluke and everything was matching to oscilloscope. If you read the specs on Fluke 189 it states bandwith 100 KHz. I checked that and it is true.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi testlab,
Bandwidth becomes more important when looking at modern electronic systems and true RMS measurements. With modern meters, the old HP 400 has been superseded. The HP 34401 has a 300KHz bandwidth. Digital 'scopes with math functions now take the place of an older analog meter.

The point being made is that the Fluke product is the best hand held meter, and that frequency response is a much more important part of the standard measurement capabilities. I refuse to unreel an extension cord when I'm away from the bench in a field or factory floor.

-Chris

I understand that. I work with those instruments every day. I think the point you are missing is budget concern. Fluke's superiority gap is shrinking. There are many budget instruments that are more than suitable.

A 34401A is almost $1200. An HP 400 can be had on eBay for under $100, in most cases. There is alot of work left in some of those old instruments.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi testlab,
I fully agree with you that there is lots of life left in older insturments, but the title of this thread is:
Digital Multimeter recommendation
So I'm trying to stay on topic. We are talking about handhelds in particular.

Brands like Extech, TPI, BK, Tenma can be more trouble than they are worth. We found Extech would not stay in tolerance year to year. Extech charged a fortune for calibration. Tenma and anything like that may not be in tolerance new in box. The input divider was mostly to blame. So you get new and BER (Beyond Economical Repair).

SY is right in saying Fluke is not cheap. I believe the total cost of ownership to be the lowest of the lot on average. This is due to their long life, inexpensive (usually) repairs and tendancy to stay in tolerance. I have not seen other brands getting close to this.

-Chris

Quote:

SY is right in saying Fluke is not cheap. I believe the total cost of ownership to be the lowest of the lot on average. This is due to their long life, inexpensive (usually) repairs and tendancy to stay in tolerance. I have not seen other brands getting close to this.

anatech and SY are 100% correct here. I have been guilty in the past of purchasing the lower end meters and learned that they will bite you in the butt. When you add up the extra expenses of
calibration and maintenance they will eat you alive.

Its been said that Fluke isn't cheap but then again good meters aren't. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. With cheap meters you pay and pay and pay until you finally wise up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.